A Filmmaker’s Journal

Note: Model in photograph, although strikingly similar in overall manly appeal, is not actually Mitch Teemley

A Novel Proposition

Exciting, terrifying news! I’m confabbing with a major publisher to do a novelization of my feature film Over-the-Rhine, both due for release in 2018!

Exciting because, well, duh. And terrifying because, in order to market the book and film synergistically (give yourself 50 smart points for knowing that word), I’ll have to finish the book, like, yesterday. I would have been terrified anyway, since I’m a writer and a writer is, by definition, someone who believes themself to be both: a) a prodigious genius on the verge of bestowing an inestimable gift upon the world, and, b) a deluded hack on the verge of discovering they have no right to occupy even the tiny tract of soil they currently crouch upon.

Honestly, I’ve been looking for an excuse to launch into another “big project,” and this is the one I’ve been aching to do. So even if this publisher ends up passing, I’ll finish the book and approach other publishers I (sort of) know.

I apologize in advance to my blogger buds if I miss a few house calls due to being waylaid in storyland. Also, many of my posts over the coming couple of months will probably be stream-of-consciousness quickies.*

Like this one.

*Not intended to sound suggestive–unless it makes me seem clever, then it’s intended.

This entry was posted in Humor, Memoir, Movies, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to A Filmmaker’s Journal

1. congratulations, any tips on how I can get published? Of course mine are all short stories. I don’t know if I can find the time to write a novel.

• mitchteemley says:

I’m no authority on the subject, Robert, but I think the standard advice would be to, 1) seek inclusion in anthologies (both online and hard copy), and 2) approach smaller, short-story-friendly publishers via Writer’s Market, following their suggested guidelines.

• thanks, I have a book at home with a list, I forget what it’s called. Mainly for children’s books. I just can’t ever find time to get into it and send stuff out. One day I will that’s for sure. Hard to work 50 hours a week and write and try to do that full time also lol

2. OUTSTANDING MITCH! Congrats and can’t wait to see them both.

3. Fantastic news!!!!!! Congratulations, Mitch!! Oh, and LOVE your description of a writer. I soo relate. πŸ˜‰ Wild swings between confidence and self-doubt is definitely par for the course. Don’t worry about us. We’ll be here. Just do your writing thang! πŸ™ƒπŸ™‚

4. *are* par for the course… should jave proofread that. 😣

5. Lucie says:

As always, Mitch, I am sooooo happy for you!! Way to go! ❀ Lucie

6. Mitch, this is SO extremely exciting, I am just busting for you…and at the same time, scared to death for you!!! I totally get both points and have a book in need of editing right now myself with both feelings looming, and in total sincerity struggling between the two. I feel your heart, can’t imagine the pressure and will pray for you fervently! May God cover you with His feathers (Ps. 91:4) every step of the way and may the spiritual warfare prove out to your benefit at every battle front! A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD! On my knees now… πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»

7. Wonderful news! I would love to read your book. Is it your first? πŸ™‚

8. synergistically quickies. Two words that popped out for me from this post. Such good straight lines, so little time to exploit… Looking forward to hearing more about the project.

9. Exciting news, Mitch! I wish you well on both fronts! A fellow “deluded hack”… Greg

10. Sheila says:

Congrats and may the words simply flow… And I get the 50 points!! Are you keeping score?

11. atimetoshare.me says:

Blessings on this new project.

12. revruss1220 says:

Fantastic news! Congratulations and best wishes that both projects reach their intended audiences and touch many hearts.

I don’t know; there might be five or six of us “little bloggers” that could combine to take up the slack while you are otherwise engaged… although that is still probably not enough of us. And please tell your wife that at 6’2″ and nearly 200 pounds I can hardly be called “little.”

13. claire says:

Wow! that’s great news! Good for you!

14. smzang says:

Many blessings on your newest journey, on all your journeys!

15. What an exciting “big project” to dive into, Mitch. Sounds like just the right thing at the right time. I’m eager to follow your progress. May it be another fantastic experience!

16. How exciting!! Congrats and God be with you!

17. Francina says:

Congratulation with these new adventures.

18. celia says:

As you can see, many of your blogger friends are pulling (and praying) for you.

19. Ann Coleman says:

Congratulations!! That is so exciting, and I’m glad it turned up at just the right time for you!

20. Paula says:

Wow, good news. You are certainly up for it. I know of one other movie that was novelized (is that a word?): “The Peanuts Movie.” So you’re in good company, Mitch. You may have to change the post titles to “An Author’s Journal” since you author …. just about anything! soli deo gloria!
    Clever is as clever does ; >)

21. Congrats Mitch!! I’m happy for you!

22. gpavants says:

Dear Mitch,

Let’s pray right now. Lord, please help Mitch adjust his time and creativity to adapt this film to a book. Let it flesh out and be able to retain and even add more depth to the story. That you fir creative focus and write alongside him. In Jesus name, amen.

I hear you. I have a blogger’s life, but working a novel series, too. You can do it, brother.

Gary

23. wittyjolt says:

Excellent model lol

24. Pingback: A Filmmaker’s Journal | Mitch Teemley

25. toutparmoi says:

Brilliant news. And I love your description of the writerly ego swings.