Change the Future

“We talk so much about leaving a better planet to our children, that we forget about leaving better children to our planet.”  ~Gerry Burnie

“It would be better to have a millstone hung around your neck and be thrown into the sea, than that you should cause one of these little ones to stumble.”  ~Luke 17:2

Remember

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.”   ~Frederick Douglass

communication2

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Change the Future

• mitchteemley says:

Am I sure about what, Semra? That we should leave better children to our planet? That it is wrong to cause a child to stumble (do wrong)? Or that it’s easier to build strong children than to repair broken men? Just to be clear: Yes, I am sure about all three of these statements. And, as the images imply, I am against teaching children to hate or bully others–anywhere, anytime.

• Genocide, no matter who is involved, is unconscionable. No matter what, it should absolutely be opposed and stopped at all costs. If that’s what you were seeking, it’s what you’ll be given.

Understand, sister, that genocide is contrary to Scripture. If we’re to be true to our beliefs, we must necessarily condemn genocide wherever we encounter it.

If what I’m saying seems a bit stilted, you must understand that I’m an apologist. My specialty is Islam and Judaism. I’m normally debating Muslims and Jews, so my first thought was to engage you in debate.

However, the point you’ve raised is a very important one. No matter who it is, or what they’ve done, there is no human justification for genocide.

• Semra Polat says:

Yes !! Very true, there is obviously a genocide going on there. Do those who speak to the world about ‘Islamic terrorism’ also talk about ‘Christian terrorism,’ ‘Jewish terrorism’ or ‘Buddhist terrorism’? No. They always show Buddhists as goodwill ambassadors like this. But actually there is ‘Buddhist terrorism’ going on in Myanmar right now. No doubt they will now tear into now. Let them do it. You cannot cover this up with Yoga or anything else … All humanity should know this.

• I’ll state it clearly. I oppose all forms of terrorism, regardless of who is carrying it out.

That being said, I’ve studied Islam for years. I own two different English-language versions of the Qur’an, along with Sahih al-Bukhari, Sirat Rasul Allah, Sahih Muslim, and various other Ahadith volumes.

While Jesus never supported genocide, ethnic cleansing or any other crimes against humanity, the same can’t be said for Muhammad. Many Islamic terrorists are simply following Muhammad’s example to the letter.

As for Buddhists, Jews and any others. As I said, I don’t support any form of terrorism. However, be mindful of one thing. One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.

• Semra Polat says:

i hope one day you are reading Quran and get rid of prejudices, see the truth! the Quran says in 5:32, “whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land – it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one – it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs.

• I’ll be using the Yusuf Ali translation for this. Qur’an 5:32, “On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone slew a person unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if anyone saved a life it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear Signs yet even after that many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.”

First, this is in direct reference to Mishna Sanhedrin, Chapter 4, of the Babylonian Talmud. In it, they’re discussing the murder of Cain by his brother Abel. The Qur’an gets the context wrong, because they’re stating that the world being killed is that of the victim’s potential descendants. That’s why murder is so abhorrent, the number of lives taken come out to more than just the victim.

Moving on to the next verse, 5:33, we find that you’re holding something back. “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Apostle and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution or crucifixion of the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter.” The most peaceful verse in the entire Qur’an, a badly plagiarized reference to Jewish literature, followed by one of the most violent and intolerant verses. It makes sense, given what I’ve learned of Muhammad.

Now, it’s my turn. Qur’an 9:111, “Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their good; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth through the Law the Gospel and the Qur’an: and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? Then rejoice in the bargain which ye have concluded: that is the achievement supreme.”

Are you sure you want to play around with me? Bear in mind, I fully sympathize with the plight of anyone who’s people are being slaughtered. Likewise, I’m only speaking up out of love for a fellow image-bearer of God. As such, I’m obligated to share the Truth in love. (Ephesians 4:15)

Either your Imams have lied to you, or you’re playing around with Taqiyya. In either case, I’m obligated to speak in defense. Your choice.

• Semra Polat says:

I no need Imam bcz my Prophet saw said, I leave with you two things. As long as you hold them tightly, you will never go astray. They are: the Book of Allah (Quran) and my (example) Sunnah.

and dont worried for me brother, For you is your religion, and for me is my religion.

• If yours is false, wouldn’t you like to know? We’re discussing your eternal salvation, here. Something that even Muhammad himself couldn’t guarantee, as I recall.

Trust and believe that Muhammad was a false prophet, Allah is not God, the Qur’an is false and Islam was created to steal people’s salvation. I can prove it, if you’re willing.

• Miss Semra, I fear that I’ve taken over the comment section, and that was never my intent. I’d like to extend an invitation. Take a trip to my page, read through my blog posts, and engage me there. I’m more than willing to discuss or debate there, but it would be rude of me to continue this here.

• I just watched the video you’ve shared. First, I’m a Soldier, serving in the U.S. Army. My job is Medic, which means I provide routine and emergency medical care to my fellow service members, my enemies, and to any and all civilians whom are unfortunate enough to be on the battlefield.

As such, I’m seeing that video through the lense of a Soldier trained for combat. Here’s what that perspective brings me.

I’m old enough to have been born during the Cold War. I can remember, as a child, that my friends and I fantasized about fighting against Soviet Russia. As an adult, most of my military training has been focused on fighting groups like al-Qaeda, Daesh, al-Nusra, etc.

The only enemies those Israeli children have known are Arabs. Whether they’re Syrians, Lebanese, Jordanians, Egyptians or Palestinians, they are all they’ve known. Of course they’re going to say such things.

When you consider the history of Israel and her neighbors, it’s only natural that these children will, in typical childish bravado, want to fight the only enemies they’ve ever known.

How many of Israel’s Arab neighbors have launched unprovoked wars against Israel? How many of Israel’s Arab neighbors have made the absolute destrction of the State of Israel their primary goal? Israel has every right to defend herself, and her Muslim neighbors seem to think she doesn’t.

You speak out against genocide, but that’s what all of Israel’s neighbors wish to do with Israel. It’s written into all of their rhetoric, their literature, even their children’s TV programming. “Kill the Jews! Death to Israel! Death to America! Allahu Akbar!” That’s what they’re saying, right?

• Semra Polat says:

Donald Trump,

“Isis is honoring President Obama,” Trump said of Islamic State. “He is the founder of Isis. He founded Isis. And, I would say the co-founder would be crooked Hillary Clinton.”

al-Qaeda mean american terörism,

Five most terrorists countries of the world., USA, Israel, UK, France, and Russia.

• You do realize that President Trump has said a great many bad things against former-President Obama? Now, if he did say such a thing, I’d like to know. Share your source, so that I might see for myself. Preferably in video form.

I think you might have the wrong information on what constitutes terrorism. Bear in mind that the U.S., Russia, the U.K. and Israel are all nuclear powers. Why use terrorism when we can just make an enemy glow in the dark? It would be a waste of life and resources.

Meanwhile, terrorism is something people do when they don’t have a chance in a conventional war. While it’s true that Soviet Russia has a history of financially supporting terrorist groups, what you’re claiming has never applied, not even a little.

• Semra Polat says:

Do you believe what you say? I can’t believe what you say, because I see what they do all world!! 🙂 🙂

• I do believe what I’m saying. I absolutely do. I wouldn’t have enlisted if I thought otherwise. I certainly wouldn’t have gone to Iraq if I thought otherwise.

Many American service members ran to Canada to avoid being deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, because they didn’t believe in the mission. I did, and while I was there, I performed my duties to the best of my ability.

I was assigned to an internment facility, and my job was to provide healthcare to Iraqi detainees. I saw to it they received the best care I could give them, because they are human beings first.

• Ah. I see what you’re getting at here. My apologies, I missed the video you had actually shared.

For the longest time, US foreign policy has long been “The enemy of my enemy is my friend”. To that end, we’ve historically supported terrorist groups, dictators, etc. It’s a crap policy, but when it’s really your only option, then it’s your only option. Hello rock, meet hard place.

I don’t doubt that our people knew who and what they were dealing with when they trained and funded Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda. They knew exactly what he was about, and I don’t doubt that someone raised concerns about dealing with him. I also don’t doubt they were promptly ignored in the face of the bigger issue: the expansionist nature of the Soviet Union.

• Your point is one I’ve made for a long time. We’ve been plagued with bad leadership in this country for a very long time, and it’s the fault of the people. Some time ago, the decision was made to remove God from His rightful place, and we’ve paid the price ever since. Will that pattern continue with President Trump? I don’t know, and I can’t comment because he is my Commander-in-Chief, and I’m still serving. There are certain things one simply doesn’t do while in the U.S. Armed Forces, and speaking critically of one’s Commander-in-Chief is one of those things.

1. yes, and not leave it to the state to do it. in some countries in this world the governments are commandeering the children from the parents and influencing them for the use of the government’s agenda–and not a Biblical or godly agenda–but calling it “strong” and “virtuous.”

2. Great post, my friend. Whether it’s the elderly, disabled or children, there’s nothing worse than taking advantage of or exploiting the vulnerable. Those who do this are the lowest of the low. As followers of Christ, we must defend the vulnerable and/or support those who are defending them.

3. It would seem that we need to fix a lot of things in ourselves so that we’re in a better position to leave a better posterity. For our own repairs, we can turn only to God who then can help us guide our children. Only with the help of God can we hope to change the future.

4. notdonner says:

Thanks Mitch! This brings into focus the plight of children all over the world who are raised to love mankind and elevate the condition of their brothers, or they are used, lied to, abused and indoctrinated to hate their brothers. As a disciple of Jesus, I know there is only the one way to overcome hatred, ignorance, and false doctrine. You cannot overcome mistaken belief with logic and doctrine. You overcome mistaken ideas through enduring love, patience, kindness, prayer and personal example.

5. woodtic says:

Thanks Mitch- no one may agree with the truth, but all will be measured by it.

6. Imelda says:

The first quote is often forgotten.

7. Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    Yes, amen! How we need Godly parents and teachers who will once again live and teach the ways of God from the word of God! Train them to follow Christ!

8. schoen55 says:

Just talking about this in our bible study of Romans Chapter 1. What a great reminder for parents and grandparents that by raising better children we will be making a better planet.

9. You are so right … check out my recent post as well. We have come so far from where we were… and could be.

10. I couldn’t click on the “Like” button, because this post highlights the horrible reality that faces so many children in the world – not a ‘likeable’ situation at all – but this post speaks a truth that badly needs to be heard. Our Lord instructs us to be the voice of the defenseless. Thanks for doing your bit.

11. Jennie says:

Terrible, and the photos speak volumes for what is being taught to our children. Hate is learned. Your last photo of the two babies in backpacks is proof that hope is eternal.

12. gpavants says:

Dear Mitch,

These images are disturbing especially to poor kid being pulled from the bathroom. Lord, protect the innocent and pull them from the poison that turns them against you. Sometimes we have to be shocked to keep aware of our times.

Thanks brother,