Eclipse

I Am the Light

As I write this, the first major eclipse in my part of the world in nearly 100 years is about to begin. Eclipses have fascinated and terrified us for millennia. The word itself, from the Greek ekleípō, means to “fail” or “abandon,” reminding us that throughout most of human history, eclipses have been viewed with horror as the sun’s “abandonment” of us, it’s “failure” to continue shining.

But eclipses are illusions. Not only is the sun still there, its image is obscured by a much smaller and relatively insignificant object. Not to dis our lovely, romantic moon, but it’s only a quarter the size of the earth, and a mere 400th the size of the sun. So how can it block our view?

In a word: Umbra. Because the moon is so near, its shadow (umbra) completely obscures our view of that much larger heavenly body. You can probably see me edging toward a metaphor here, so I’ll get to it.

I’m talking about fears. The things we fear are nearly always vastly smaller than they appear to be. If you hold your thumb up in front of your eyes, it can block anything from view: a skyscraper, a mountain range. It’s nowhere near as large as they are, but when it’s that close, it’s all you can see. Like giant thumbs, our fears are 10% real, and 90% illusion.

Jesus used the world ekleípō when he warned the Apostle Peter that he was about to face the greatest trial of his life, Jesus’s death and his own (Peter’s) betrayal: “I have prayed that your faith will not fail (be eclipsed by the illusion of abandonment),” Jesus says. “And when you have turned back (from that shadow upon your faith), strengthen others.” (Luke 22:32)

For the past few weeks, I have been struggling with health and financial issues that have obscured the unbroken light of God’s provision. I’m no newbie, so it’s only a penumbra (partial umbra). Nevertheless, I long—for myself and for those I love—to be completely free from shadows. But “count it all joy,” James encourages, because such trials, when faced with faith, make us stronger, they make us complete. (James 1:2-3)

Just as we moderns know that the sun has not failed us, I know my Creator has not failed me, and never will.

And I will never walk in darkness.

Companion piece: Unseen

55 Responses to Eclipse

1. schoen55 says:

Prayers for healing, Mitch. Hold tightly onto His hand for He is there with you and your family members. While the darkness seems to encompass all around us, it is our Abba Father who will lead us to the other side, maybe somewhat bruised but strong in spirit and with soul filled with grace.

2. Mitch, believe with all your heart that the Jesus that died for you will also carry you in your dark eclipse moments. Praying for you and your family. God bless you.

3. I’m sorry to hear you’ve been going through some hard stuff, Mitch. This is a great metaphor by the way. Praying for you.

4. This is beautiful Mitch, and such a wonderful reminder. Prayers for you and your family.

5. atimetoshare.me says:

Prayers for you and your family, Mitch. I believe we’re carried through dark times, alone times and times when we feel God has abandoned us. It is through those times when he shines the brightest, spreading his warmth over us. May He be with you in these times too.

6. This is a fantastic perspective on our troubles in this life. I, too, am walking through some shadows of a family member’s umbra. Praying for light in this case, including understanding and discernment. Thanking God for the gift of words that He has given you, Mitch.

7. Red Letters says:

Thank you for sharing this wonderfully inspiring post, despite the fact that you are currently facing your own trials. Praying for you & your family & I’m looking forward to hearing the testimony that is on its way! Joy comes in the morning.☀️😀
    Blessings, Hayley

8. Ron Whited says:

As you know Mitch, at times the way gets dark. But thank God that darkness is only temporary, for we are not children of the dark, but of the Light. Blessings to you and your family.

9. Pingback: Unseen | Mitch Teemley

10. simonjkyte says:

‘it’s only a quarter the size of the earth, and a mere 400th the size of the sun’
    and yet it is far bigger than contemporary science suggests it should be

11. ekurie says:

Amen. Praying you ride this turbulent wave well and see God’s purpose and grace. and praying things are better.

12. smzang says:

Sending good wishes your way and many prayers on your behalf.
    Not only do you walk in Light, you spread its glow over everyone
    in your reach.

13. God is always here for you, and hears your prayers. 🙂 2 hours ago i saw the total eclipse. It is the most beautiful creation of God.

14. A beautiful reminder! Thank you!

15. beigebirds says:

It is comforting to know that someone shares the same fears. It is empowering to know someone shares the same faith. It’s amazing to know we witnessed God’s fabulous show stopping work called a Total Eclipse today. Life is good. God is Great. Thank you for your beautiful post.

16. Praying for you and your family and thanking God for your blog and especially this post – awesome metaphor

17. Hang tough in God’s love and peace. Here’s a bit that helps me through the rougher patches: ‘Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20

God is great, indeed! Enjoyed your post, Mitch!

18. I like this… and I agree. I’m sorry you are facing some shadows…some scary stuff. Me and my family, we are there as well. In fact, my post tomorrow is centered around whether I will admit my fear…to myself! Bless you, and your loved ones, and I pray for the LIGHT to overcome whatever darkness is looming…in the name and victory of Jesus!

19. Beautifully stated, Mitch! How easily we can be distracted/eclipsed by circumstances. This post reminds me of my morning Old Testament reading: Psalm 119:49-50 – “Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.”

20. numrhood says:

john 33:37 call unto thee, thou shall answer thee, bless it be the nations.
    luke 47:07 clap n shout o heavens.

21. numrhood says:

psalm one44:24-25

22. brunniegetchell says:

Prayers to you and your family

23. I too am in a season of financial distress from past medical issues. It’s downright uncomfortable but,
    I don’t know about you, but I saw God’s eye in the sky yesterday.
    With glasses on I watched in awe as our Father pushed the moon in front of the sun. The darkness came and it was eerily surreal. I couldn’t help but think about how God placed His Son in front of the world. How His gift of Jesus is so brilliant in the darkness. He gave us the eclipse today – the sun and moon in perfect alignment to perform this beautiful sight. I’m in awe of His ability to move us, to just simply place beauty in front of us, so we see Him in everything. When the moon started to pass over the sun and the brilliant white light peaked through, my heart just skipped a beat. I assure you His beauty was seen today, and I am overwhelmed by the brilliance of this peak of sun after darkness. There is beauty to be found in the darkness – it is in finding the brilliance in His light.
    The heavens declared Gods glory today; the arch of the sky makes clear the works of His hands. Psalm 191:1

24. landl30 says:

You’ve been one of the lights that endure Mitch…. you certainly do that for my life. Care and prayers for your health and finance issues.. all part of working our way through the human condition….
    Len

25. Once again, beautifully written. Please know that I will be praying fervently for you and your family.

26. antongorlin says:

well said! Let’s never walk in darkness.

27. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Yes, little things get in the way. Lord, help us to let you have it all. Praying you are doing better and see the light shine. In Christ,

Gary

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Mitch Teemley wrote:

> mitchteemley posted: ” As I write this, the first major eclipse in my part > of the world in nearly 100 years is about to begin. Eclipses have > fascinated and terrified us for millennia. The word itself, from the Greek > ekleípō, means to “fail” or “abandon,” reminding us that thro” >

28. jeanannwhd says:

Very inspiring….may His Grace suffice in your trials.

29. rothpoetry says:

What a great illustration of Jesus’ prayer in the garden! I love it!
    Dwight

30. Roos Ruse says:

You never fail to inspire, Mitch, and you point out the obvious that too often missed so eloquently. Superb illustration. CHW for the next.

31. Hi, Mitch…I needed to see and read this. It was encouraging, and I’ve had to fight ‘fear’ a lot lately concerning health and some family issues. At times it can be overwhelming, BUT GOD! Prayers for your health and favor for finances to be released to you in the Name of Jesus. God is faithful…

32. Mid says:

So glad to have found your blog, Mitch ~ encouraging, inspiring, and another reason to pray daily for those who love the Lord and are walking with Him. Thank you for visiting me! Will be looking for a good report, because God is faithful!! Maranatha!