Don’t Love Yourself!

I’m re-posting this because it seems like an appropriate follow-up to my article from a few days ago Far From Home, and because many have not read it before. Blessings till it hurts! ~Mitch

Mitch Teemley

Watering hole - do you come here often

Alright, I admit my title is a ruse, and yet…I really am sick of seeing motivational posts telling us to love ourselves. Why? Because we don’t need to learn to love ourselves.

We need to learn to like ourselves. In a sense, people who commit suicide love themselves too much. They love themselves enough to be obsessed with their dreams, and crushed when those dreams fail to come true. They can accept your failure. Or mine. But not their own.

Love flows like mother’s milk. But like is a hard-shelled nut. It doesn’t crack for motivational slogans (“You’re great!” “Oh, shut up! I’ve accomplished nothing today!”). Antique CompassWe’re born with an inner compass that relentlessly points to true north, refusing to settle for happy-happy-sugar-candy faux-north.

I know a sweet-spirited woman, Michelle, who grew up during the peak of the self-esteem movement. He mother told her non-stop how “special” she was, praising…

View original post 416 more words

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Don’t Love Yourself!

1. It’s so relevant! Thank you, Mitch!

2. atimetoshare.me says:

Thanks, Mitch. This is an excellent observation.

3. dawnlizjones says:

Hey! I read that one, and now I read it again! (Still really good!)

4. mrspallat says:

The idea of liking yourself instead of loving yourself is powerful and one I had not considered before. Thank you for the insight!

5. Mitch, I’m a mental health counselor and I have never heard suicidal ideation explained so well.

6. ellie894 says:

Thank you for the repost! It’s just right😊

7. Ben Aqiba says:

Great post Mitch,

it seems that is a very tight line between love for oneself and respect for oneself .
    One step separates us from the pride, which is not good emotion.

8. gpavants says:

HI Mitch,

I can do like. You can also count your blessings (and sing the hymn while doing it) when you see what the Lord has put into your life.

Thanks brother,