You’re Peculiar!

blessed-are-the-weird

I was wearing khakis and a polo shirt, and was about to do a poetry reading for a room full of clove cigarette-smoking hipsters, identically clad in tight black clothes. I stepped up to the microphone and mumbled, “I feel so normal,” and they burst into applause. At that moment I knew I had them. Because I was, in fact, the weirdest person in the room.

“You are a chosen generation…a peculiar people, uniquely suited to show the goodness of the one who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” ~1 Peter 2:9

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir, Poetry, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to You’re Peculiar!

1. It’s a tragedy in my mind that so few Christians have followed Peter’s charge over the millennia. The ones who have followed it are a light; it’s true. But imagine how life on Earth would be if all had taken Peter’s words to heart instead of dabbling in Christianity, seeking social contacts, status within the Church— or worst of all—making a ‘business” out of a congregation or sect.

2. Aaron Smothers says:

What a boost of encouragement at just the right time! I relate with being peculiar and very much needed the reminder that it is good & necessary – that I’m made & remade this way on purpose, that I’d share His goodness!!! It’s all part of His wise and good plan. Have a great day, Mitch!

3. Cethru Cellophane says:

Nice! I have always been referred to as peculiar or somewhat eccentric with a misplaced sense of humour. I feel more normal now, having read you post. Ha-the door is open.

4. notdonner says:

that sounds like so much fun! . the freedom to be peculiar for Christ. when so many young people fear being different – a disciple can stand up. To be all things to all people in order to save some (1 Cor 9:22)

5. dawnlizjones says:

Dude, you’re so bold you’re funny.

6. I wish I was there. 🙂
    Sounds like a good time.

7. Ha ha…Yep, always have felt like a weird misfit, but I like to call it unique. Sounds more hopeful, don’t you think? 😆 At any rate, I’ve concluded that if God can use Paul He can use me, and if He can use me He can use anybody…because HE is God! And the fact that He made us all different sure keeps life interesting…and so do your blogs! 😂😂😂

8. Jennie says:

Perfectly said!

9. Roos Ruse says:

What perfect timing for another delightful Mitch moment! Sister just shook her head at me seeing I showed up in town in baggy 501s rolled up to mid-calf, a kelly green tank top (worn backwards, of course), a purple light hoodie with silver embellishments and sparkly teal flip-flops and my hair tousled into a clip atop my head. This is me.

10. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Christian creative people have it even tougher at times. They battle things on the mind and emotions that others do not. May the Lord keep you encouraged when you have those low points. Be unique,

Gary

11. gerrymackrell says:

peculiar I wasn’t happy with, then God said I was unique. I’m happy again, isn’t that peculiar.

• mitchteemley says:

“Peculiar” is the word used in the King James Version. Its meaning has acquired the sense of “weird” since that time. But some of us proudly own the adjective weird, so why not peculiar? ;>)