Bored in Heaven?

Are there too many ‘Christians’ in the world, and not enough disciples?  In his book The Divine Conspiracy, renowned philosopher-theologian Dallas Willard puts it this way:

“It might prove helpful to think occasionally of how, exactly, I would be glad to be in heaven should I ‘make it.’ Will it be like a nice, air-conditioned luxury hotel with unlimited room service and spectacular amenities for eternity? I often wonder how happy and useful some of the fearful, bitter, lust-ridden, hate-filled Christians I have seen involved in church or family or neighborhood or political battles would be if they miese party,schlechte laune einsamkeitwere forced to live forever in the unrestrained fullness of the reality of God…and with multitudes of beings really like him.

“There is a widespread notion that just passing through death transforms human character. Discipleship is not needed. Just believe enough to ‘make it.’ But I have never been able to find any basis in scriptural tradition or psychological reality to think this might be so. What if death only forever fixes us as the kind of person we are at death? What would one do in heaven with a debauched character or a hate-filled heart?”

Can we be in heaven if heaven is not in us?

This entry was posted in Books, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Bored in Heaven?

1. Bored in Heaven? I doubt it. Bored on Earth? Definitely. Too many fools , hypocrisy and malicious intents to contend with daily in and out. Heaven will be the prize for the good and the other place whatever is called for the not so good.

• mitchteemley says:

I’m loath to call myself good, Tink. Jesus said “No one is good but God.” And of Abraham, “the father of faith,” it is said not that he was righteous, but that God’s righteousness was “credited” to him because of Abraham’s unwavering trust in God.

• I for one do not know what category I fall in. I just do what is needed to be done hoping that it would meet the the expectation of our Saviour .

• notdonner says:

May I offer you hope. It’s not emotional, it is Hope in the promise that Jesus made- the Resurrection leading to eternal Life. There is no such thing as a ‘formula’ – otherwise the Pharisees who were following the Law would have been called by Jesus. Study the scripture for FAITH, LOVE, and humility. When you realize that you cannot possibly attain eternal life APART from a pure trust in Jesus, that is the beginning of understanding.

2. Excellent point. Earth prepares us for heaven. We are to conform to Christ so that we can rejoice with Him in heaven.

3. It’s an interesting thought. I always fall back on ROMANS 12:2. We are works in progress.

4. 15 If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
    I’ve always thought the more work we do in this life, the better. Not very appealing to have all our “bad works” burned off like warts….but at least the promise holds…she, herself, will be “saved” whatever that might mean…

• mitchteemley says:

Agreed, Rita. Although true good works, I believe, are those done out of love for God and one’s fellow creatures, not “service hours” put in in an effort to increase one’s heavenly (or earthly) standing.

• notdonner says:

There’s no use in doing “good works” to improve your chances of salvation. Discipleship first, understanding who we are and who Jesus is, and baptism for the forgiveness of our sins (in-dwelling of the Spirit- through rebirth in water and Spirit Jesus tells us). AND in response out of gratitude for a new life is why we do good works —Those works lead others to see a tangible, if imperfect, example of a life clothed in Christ.

5. Um…that was I Corinthians 3:15…

6. Bored? Never. Whether on earth or in heaven. Too many lost to reach out to in the here and now. Can never get to them all. Just die trying. And in heaven, oh I’ve got plans. Can’t wait. Bored? Never.

7. Wayne says:

Good stuff, sir…one of those things that makes you go “Hmmmmm” 🤔🤔.

8. I used to be very bored by the thought of heaven: all harps and golden streets and choral singing. That’s not where I see beauty and zoe-life here in earth. Once I started to read C. S. Lewis and connect his ideas, especially those in The Great Divorce and Surprised by Joy, with Scripture (I.e. 1 Corinthians 13:12) I realized that earth is just a dim reflection of heaven and any truth and beauty we find here will be magnified in heaven. That’s something to rejoice over!

9. Rick says:

Hello Mitch! I’m a bit behind on my reading .. Congratulations on your award or nomination for an award! You have my vote! I once heard it described something like this and I’m not sure who said or wrote it, but it always stayed with me! Paraphrase: if a person has no desire to have a relationship with Jesus while they are alive, why would one be expected after death? Quite a bit to meditate upon! Thank you for sharing your walk of faith!

10. Great subject .. much to contemplate..Bible is clear that we are saved by faith but then gratefully we choose to work for our Lord and Savior. Good response as well.

11. alslaff says:

I disagree with Willard’s view and his take is misleading. The thief on the Cross (Luke 23:32-43) doesn’t fit Willard’s model and is scriptural proof that Jesus’ finished work on the Cross was enough. The thief believed and the Lord told him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” Salvation is based completely on the Lord’s finished work – nothing else. (Although “rewards” in heaven are a completely different topic.) Through Christ we who believe have received “the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness, i.e., by His obedience “many will be made righteous.” (See Romans 5:17-21) Therefore, all believers can say with confidence, “I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.” And lastly, Romans 8:1 states that “there is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

By the Spirit of God living in us, faith results in us desirous of doing good works. Good works are done by people every day in the absence of faith in God; these works are done in the flesh (under Law, not under Grace).

I’ll stop here although there are many other examples of the Lord healing on the basis of faith….

• mitchteemley says:

I agree with you AND with Willard, Al. I don’t think the thief on the cross is the kind of “fearful, bitter, lust-ridden, hate-filled” person Willard is talking about; the thief on the cross is a broken, repentant man who sees true righteousness in Christ and desires it. Willard is talking about those who do not desire God or his righteousness, who have no real wish to be like Him. https://mitchteemley.com/2017/03/09/heaven-2/

12. Pingback: Bored in Heaven? – SEO

13. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

It makes me think of the verse that says, judgement begins on the house of God. I have also heard someone mention that as you get closer to the Lord you do see how much of a sinner you are.

I think we are seeing a cleansing out of the church. I know I feel it. Being creative the battle is in my mind with thoughts and fears. Am I really a good Christian with the right motives and attitude? Is the Lord really at work in my or am I just operating out of my own goodness? I hope this is part of Jesus way is using these fiery trial times to prepare His bride.

I agree that Jesus does use this life as the refiner’s fire to prepare us for eternity. Our witness in the struggle will bring others as well. Your thoughts?

In Christ,

Gary

14. WOW, this is reallllly good! I believe wholeheartedly that God works to prepare us for heaven as He grows our character in this life. I have a long way to go! I am not the girl I used to be, but not what I hope to be either. I pray daily for the mind of Christ… to see others and even myself through the lens of His Word, His love and His compassion…cuz I really need HIS help! All I know is that when I see HIS face, a LOT of my questions will be answered… and that, in itself, will be wonderful! 🙂

15. Pingback: Bored in Heaven? — Mitch Teemley | Envision Revision