Teach Your Children Well

“Though the boys throw stones at the frogs in sport, the frogs do not die in sport, they die in earnest.”  ~Bion of Borysthenes (325 – 250 B.C.)

Suicide is now the number three cause of death among children, and at least half of all suicides are related to bullying.

Just last week, in my city, Gabriel Taye, the 8 year old boy in these pictures hung himself. While decreasing slightly among older adults, suicides among youth have nearly tripled since the start of the millennium.

God, teach us to listen with the ears of compassion, to look with the eyes of protection, to speak with the voice of healing…and to teach our children to do the same.

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Teach Your Children Well

1. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

2. Hey Mitch, check out my husband’s recent post: https://johnsommersflanagan.com/
    He has worked in the area of suicide, and written about it, for a long time.

3. BelleUnruh says:

This is so sad and alarming. I would suppose social media would be one of the causes in the rise of suicide since kids can be bullie at school and online now.

I’ve often thought that schools are a poor place to send children. I think we were created to be raised by loving parents, not strangers and other children.

4. Rick says:

Great post, Mitch! Also the trend of streaming the event live on social media. I will continue to write about depression on my blog and will ask all readers to communally pray for our pastoral community of all denominations! It seems very few church communities are talking about this topic. I pray this post will touch the hearts of many people to become involved in some way. Thank you!

5. nancyehead says:

My town just lost a 12-year-old by suicide too. So sad!

6. So very sad. Children really need their parents. Parents need to pay attention, and love and nurture them in the way of the Lord.

7. Jennie says:

Thank you for this important post, Mitch. As a teacher, my first priority is to guide children in social and emotional development. The academics will come. I have learned that being a true listener is the greatest gift to another, and the most important thing you can do for children. Fred Rodgers understood this.

8. Every time I hear about this, it makes me so very sad. I know that schools can only do so much and I truly believe it starts in the home. Now more than ever we must show our children love and compassion in a stable environment on a daily basis. Social media also does not make the bullying any better as it goes non stop 24/7.

9. Jennie says:

Rogers. But, you knew that. And, he was the best at knowing what matters most with children.

10. Amen! More often than not it hard to see those hurting, whether child or adult, when we all wear the mask of I’m ok.

May we all learn to listen with compassion and teach our children to do the same. May we all be able to hear those subtle cries for help.

Great post Mitch!

11. Always tell the children who are bullied: Ask the bully to stop. Walk away, and tell an adult. Talk to the parents. Stick with a friend or a group of friends.

12. Anne J. says:

This is very sad, Mitch. My little one is extremely shy and even at age 4 and about, some kids are already “stronger” than others. My child, before she turned 5, had a boy throwing stones at her (at school that she had to have a band aid on her arm) and another kid, who was even her close friend, punching her on her face. The teachers do discipline the kids who cause the physical harm but we haven’t quite figured out how she can avoid being harmed. We have contemplated moving her to another school but it will probably be the same. It’s always difficult as we don’t know what kind of homes other kids live in and if good manners are being taught, or at least just plain old fashion human kindness. So, I guess, the best we can do is give all the love we can and make sure that our kids know that they can always talk to us (parents) and we will always support them.

• mitchteemley says:

With your head and heart fully tuned in, Anne, your children are blessed. Praying.

• Anne J. says:

Prayers and faith in God get me through. Our world is far too dangerous and if I didn’t believe that God protects me and my children, I will be in constant anxiety and on the verge of a stroke or nervous breakdown. I heard on the radio that just this weekend, a 21 year old girl and a friend were hijacked in the Cape. Now, we consider the Cape much safer than Johannesburg/Gauteng so it’s really scary. They killed the girl and her friend, from what I heard, survived. We live like prisoners. It becomes harder to see the bright side but we keep on and we don’t stop praying. God bless always, Mitch.

• mitchteemley says:

God bless–and protect–you too, Anne.

13. I have felt for years that our society isn’t very kid-friendly. Peer pressure, teasing, and bullying have always been there. What is missing now is the kind of adult involvement that teaches kids not to behave like this and how to respond when their peers behave in the wrong ways toward them.

14. Dede says:

I still remember the hurt caused by bullying by children and then adults. I understand how one can reach a place where dying seems like the only option. I’ve been there. Thankfully I didn’t succeed. I discussed today how I believe society is getting meaner and more disconnected.

15. My heart aches for those that truly believe that the world would be better without their existence, that is a dark place to be. Yes, God help us see those right next to us that need the warmth of a smile, a genuine kind word of encouragement…may we be actively involved in the lives around us. We need spiritual eyes to see…really see others around us the way God sees them. This breaks my heart…thank you again for sharing, it needs to be said.

16. Ali Grimshaw says:

Although this is painful to read, this story must be told. Thank you for bringing it forth.