Intended for Good

Maddened by jealousy, Joseph’s half-brothers sold him into slavery. He was tempted to give in to despair. (Who wouldn’t be?) But he chose instead to trust in the God he knew would never abandon him.

Ah, divine irony. Two decades later his brothers came to Egypt in the midst of famine to throw themselves at the mercy of the great Vizier–only to learn he was the brother they had betrayed! Emotionally shattered and fearing for their lives, they begged him for forgiveness. And Joseph replied:

“Do not be afraid. Am I in the place of God? Even though you intended to harm me, God intended it for good… Have no fear; I myself will provide for you.”  ~Genesis 50:19-21

Josephbrothersreunited

Joseph looked past the duplicity of humans, and placed his trust in God alone. Can we? Can we forgive those who misunderstand us and attempt to harm us, “being fully persuaded that God is able to do what he has promised”? (Romans 4:21)  Can we trust that no matter what others intend, God intends it for good?

“Do not be afraid. He will never abandon you or forsake you.” ~Deuteronomy 31:8

23 Responses to Intended for Good

1. Lily Jane says:

I have never stopped believing that He has been by my side through it all.

2. Once again you do not disappoint Mitch. Wonderful message.

3. themomfred says:

Sigh…..I feel like God used you today to give this message to me 😌

4. Great! Great! Great! Thank yuo so much.

5. nancyehead says:

Joseph’s story brings such hope to anyone in difficulty. I love his story so! Thanks and God bless!

6. Jennie says:

I wish people understood that God is there, every day. You don’t have to go to church to believe in God. I live in a tiny town without a church of my denomination. I feel closer to God than I ever have. The moments that happen, big and little, I know God is there. When I connect with a child in my classroom, look at the eyes of children when I read a story, take the time to smile or say thank you to a stranger, He is there. I feel it. I just know. When something terrible happens, He keeps me like a calm rock. I often smile when I close my eyes at night; it’s my way of thanking and saying Hi. No big fanfare here, just a ‘knowing’.

7. Great reminder, Mitch, in difficult times. Thanks

8. landl30 says:

One of the great all time lines in the Bible… prefiguring Good Friday…. “what you meant for evil, God used for good…” Great line as we come up on Palm Sunday etc.

9. numrhood says:

genesis 25:44-46
    romans 4:46
    deuteronomy 56:33 when i am afraid
    romans 4:45-47

10. Trust… so huge! Seems we are on the road of “trust Him more” where He IS our constant, faithful companion. It’s a journey I would not exchange for anything!

11. Andreea Sufaru (Gutu) says:

Faith. Faith. Faith.

12. This is something I struggle with, particularly in regards to my ex-husband. From the time he left the marriage, I purposed in my heart to forgive him. All goes well until he does something else that drives another knife of hurt into me, especially when he works at depriving me of my rights. This is an area of my life that I must continuously hand over to God and entrust the outcome.

Especially appreciated your phrase, “the duplicity of humans.” We know that’s true, if only because we recognize it in ourselves. Why are we so surprised when others disappoint or hurt us? Thank you for redirecting our attention to God who uses even the disappointments and hurts of life to accomplish good. I’ve experienced his goodness, even in the midst of trying times. We CAN trust him!