Engaged!

Engaged  [inˈɡājd, enˈɡājd] Definition: A state of being firmly and continuously connected.  E.g. “A car cannot move until its gears are engaged; when they are disengaged, it ceases to move forward.”

CaratWatergateBaybyBobBerry

My wife and I got engaged 32 years ago today.

We still are.

Yes, we got married. But we’re still engaged. Completely. Oh, we’ve changed gears too many times to count. And we’ve gotten stuck in neutral on occasion. But every time we did, we realized we’d ceased to move forward, and worked to get our marriage back in gear (good marriages are strictly manual transmission vehicles; automatic simply won’t do).

So, thank you for 32 years of engagement, honey. I wouldn’t want to travel this road with anyone else. And, oh yeah, this isn’t very automotive sounding, but…

I love you.

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Engaged!

1. Ahhhh….. 🙂 I am engaged too, quite happily.

“Engaged” is one of my favorite words for other reasons, as in some people do not seem to have the clutch engaged properly and so they go down the road lurching about and grinding gears. I try to think of them as new drivers in life. Helps me to be more compassionate, but seriously people, learn how to drive. 😉

2. Oh, that’s so sweet, Mitch! Congrats and many more years together!

3. CwP says:

Congratulations! And, an excellent metaphor. Thanks for sharing.

4. Happy Anniversary! Wonderful post to your wife, I’m sure she appreciates it! Have a great celebration.

5. barbara runck says:

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad

6. May God continue to bless your marriage! What a beautiful sentiment: while already married, to be still engaged. 😊

7. “Engage!” Jean Luc Picard

8. SarahC says:

Yay! 25 yr here and you are right, automatic no workie!! congrats great post analogy

9. So very happy for you and your wife! We are 40 years engaged and married…cannot believe it! And I still think that I am young…delusional…oh well! Have a wonderful day!

10. Michaela Murphy says:

How inspiring for this newlywed over here (7yrs in May!!) Will be quoting you in my sessions with clients (I’m a relationship counsellor) “good marriages are strictly manual transmission vehicles; automatic simply won’t do” Love this!

…And there’s nothing like sailing along in the right gear, taking in the ever-changing scenery–together. Also a sublime pleasure as we journey: Sharing remember-whens that span several decades. Congratulations, Mitch and Trudy!

12. Jennie says:

Such a great post!

13. Sweet! Congratulations!

14. I love the transmission analogy! I hoe you don’t mind if I quote you on my Facebook page. 🙂

15. Kate Loveton says:

Lovely post! You’re a good man, Mitch! My husband, on our anniversary each year, announces online how many years he has been married to his ‘lovely wife.’ What a man! Sounds like Mrs. Teemley and I have keepers!

16. George says:

Congratulations, Mitch!

17. Anni H. says:

Awww!! This is such a beautiful post! Congratulations on your engagement – and, how you have kept that engagement alive, shifting out of neutral when needed! Such an inspiration. Congratulations!

18. Pingback: My Epic of Anxiety | Mitch Teemley

19. I loved this! Great analogy! There is always a lot of grinding and loud noises when you don’t shift into the correct gear. Your vehicle doesn’t like it and your spouse doesn’t. Congratulations to you both and many more!

20. gpavants says:

Awesome Mitch. May it get more awesomer as the years go by.

Gary