Some Screen Gems You May Have Missed in 2016

landscape-1466700711-2016-movie-montage

I won’t attempt a “Best Of” list (I’m still catching up on the end-of-year “for your consideration” releases), but would like to point out a few gems you may have missed:

sing-street-posterSing Street An endearing musical comedy-drama about a boy in 1980s Ireland who starts a rock band to impress a beautiful-but-unapproachable girl. Created by musician-turned-director John Carney, best known for Once (also check out his underrated Begin Again).

The Finest Hours A flawed but worthy film about the rescue of a crew from a boat torn in half by a devastating nor’easter in 1952 (true story). Beautifully acted by Chris Pine, who plays the quintessential opposite of the cocky Captain Kirk; Ben Foster (who Chris works with again in the acclaimed drama Hell or High Water), and Ben Affleck’s less hunky but equally gifted brother Casey Affleck (who’s finally getting the attention he deserves for Manchester by the Sea).

the_jungle_book_2016The Jungle Book OK, so this was a commercial blockbuster, which may be why it’s being overlooked for nominations (“too commercial”), but it re-shapes the hokey non-golden era Disney animated flick into a beautifully crafted coming-of-age story that even Kipling would have enjoyed! (Pete’s Dragon tried, with less success, to do the same for its uber-corny 1977 predecessor.)

Me Before You Another flawed but worth-seeing film, mostly due to the lead performance by Emilia Clarke who (like Chris Pine) plays the virtual opposite of the character she’s best known for (regal hottie Daenerys Targarien in Game of Thrones), in this case an adorably selfless geek.

kubo-trailerKubo and the Two Strings A tie with Zootopia, IMHBCO (In My Humble but Correct Opinion) for best animated film of 2016. Wildly original in both its story and style, this near-masterpiece was created by the indie stop-motion animation company Laika (Coraline, ParaNorman).

Mr. Holmes Most people missed this little gem (actually released in 2015) starring Ian McKellan, about the aging Sherlock Holmes solving his final—and most personal—mystery. Ergo, I deduce that you will need tissues.

Arrival Possibly the least-seen big movie of 2016, Arrival may also be the least understood: it has special effects, but it’s not really a “special effects movie;” it has aliens, but it’s not really a “sci-fi thriller.” What it is is a thinking movie, an exploration of our arrival-movie-posterrole in the space-time continuum (like 2001: A Space Odyssey, only even think-ier) and the way in which our understanding of reality can emotionally destroy or heal us (unlike Mr. Kubrick’s head-trippily Brechtian Odyssey). Yes, an intellectual hankie movie.

Thirteen (television) – This British mini-series tracks the emotionally wrenching aftermath of a young woman’s escape from her abductor after 13 years. It’s the best written, best directed, and best acted television production of 2016 (IMHBCO).

Honorable Mention: Orphan Black – This Canadian send-in-the-clones series is starting to re-find it’s legs after a terrific first season, solid second season, and wandering third. It has one of the best acting ensembles on television, led by the brilliant Tatiana Maslany, the Meryl Streep of the Millennial generation!

This entry was posted in Culture, Movies, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Some Screen Gems You May Have Missed in 2016

1. beigebirds says:

I’m hoping to see Arrival soon; I heard I’ll need tissues. My hubby gave me a cinema gift card for Christmas!

2. smzang says:

I am such a fan of your thinking and your writing. As a long time follower of your blog, I have spread the word about it. A respected leader in the arts community in this area wanted to contact you via email. I did some research and found an address (moriahllc) and sent an introduction but it came back as a bad address. Is there any way I can make that information available to you without posting it publically?

3. Jay says:

I haven’t missed any!

4. dawnlizjones says:

Also enjoyed Mr. Holmes!

5. Lucie says:

The Potter flick is also a very good flick, Mitch. I think you’d like it. Highly entertaining. 🙂

6. VocareMentor says:

Yes, Mr. Holmes was excellent. Kubo was such a wonderful surprise, visually amazing. Enjoyed The Jungle Book very much, although the 1967 version was my long time favorite animated film till the Pixar Toy Story films. And I did want to see Sing Street but never saw it playing near me. Thanks for the reminder to look for it, and the others on your list.

7. toutparmoi says:

Shames me to admit that I’ve only seen a couple of these: Mr Holmes, which I enjoyed, and Thirteen, which didn’t grab me, but I missed the first couple of episodes, so maybe that made the difference. I can see I’ve got some catching up to do!

8. Thirteen was very good. We rarely watch television, but that was one I watched on BBC iPlayer. Good script and good acting. The best performance I saw last year was my youngest in her school production of Disney’s Aladdin. She played Iago, the parrot. Perfect role for her 😉

9. I only seen The Jungle Book, Kubo and The Arrival, superb movies! Sing street sounds interesting.

10. Loved Fantastic Beast, and want to see Arrival, and especially Mr. Holmes. Heard The Jungle Book was good.

11. Pingback: Best Movies of 2016: A Baker’s Dozen | Mitch Teemley