Unless You Become…

A learned Theologian passed away.

page27_1

At that same moment, a Child died.

Power-of-His-Presence-300x221

In the blink of an eye, the two appeared before God.

The Theologian wrinkled his nose and said,

“You’re not what I expected.”

But the Child threw open its arms and cried, “Daddy!”

⇔ ⇔ ⇔

“Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children,

you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”

~Matthew 18:3

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith, Story Power and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Unless You Become…

1. Ahh, I love that. Well said. I suspect there will be a few surprised theologians in heaven. 🙂

2. renedith says:

…. living the life of a child. Loving from the heart. Great post, thanx
    ren

A thought-provoking post, Mitch. I just read a great quote on another blog (Jody Collins’ wonderfully insightful Three Way Light): “All true knowledge leads to divinity” — Iain Murray, in Jonathan Edwards, A New Biography. Since Jesus is the way, the TRUTH, and the life (John 14:6), it stands to reason that as we seek truth we will find HIM — including theologians!

4. M. Miles says:

Thank you for sharing my favorite verse in the Bible! I admit, I’m not very well schooled in Christian theology, but among the numerous verses which I have read in evangelical brochures, this one touches my heart the most. I like the little parable you put with it too!

5. Brilliant and filled with truth, delivered in love, as usual Mitch. 🙂

6. oneta hayes says:

How sweet! A lesson for all who need to be humbled.

7. jupiterbeings says:

Synchronicity here. Today I had thoughts the same.

8. Concise, true, profound… 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

9. aresonantone says:

This reminds me of a scene Kama rather a throwaway detail that I thought was very insightful in CS Lewis’s the great divorce. In the beginning of the novel before the protagonist takes the bus ride to Heaven he discusses some of his fellow denizens in what could be considered purgatory a temporary hell where they await the great white Throne judgement. One of the fellow denizens is a theologian. The Theologian apparently still maintain religion and I believe in Christ but more as an anthropological abstract. For he was teaching a course on call Jesus’s untimely death has stunted what he could have done with his ministry and how it should have matured if you have lived longer. So yes I worry a little bit about my own faith in that regard that I have too much of that same Theologian in me. I keep telling myself that the day I see the Lord, the only thing I’d better do is throw myself on my face and beg for forgiveness because I don’t deserve it on the other hand thanks to his grace I will receive this impossible, unearned gift.

10. gwennonr says:

This is one of my favorite posts ever. Thank you so much for sharing it.