Home is Where the Odd Is

“Decorate your home. It gives the illusion that your life is more interesting than it really is.”  ~Charles M. Schulz

dude-80s-boomboxes-were-big-great-for-hard-rock-tooMan, those 80’s boomboxes were big!  This real house in Fafe, Portugal has a built in sound system that exclusively plays…wait for it…hard rock.

084-na.jpg“People who live in glass houses…” The completely transparent Fujimoto House Na is in Tokyo, Japan (as opposed to, say, Tokyo, France).

house-4-just-room-enough-island-is-one-of-the-famous-thousand-islands-that-straddle-the-us-canada-border-in-the-saint-lawrence-river-there-are-a-few-lawn-chairs-out-front-on-the-familys-tiny-beachJust Enough Island on the St. Lawrence River in Canada. “Visit us sometime, eh?  Nah, just kidding.  Now, go away, eh.”

house-worlds-skinniest-in-keret-polandThe world’s skinniest abode, Keret House in Poland is just 36″ wide at its widest point. Adds new meaning to the term “sleepover.”

house-3-25-houses-were-built-illegally-on-top-of-a-local-shopping-mall-in-hengyang-hunan-province-today-they-serve-as-dorms-for-employees-from-the-mallIn response to rising property prices, this makeshift suburb was (illegally) built on the roof of a shopping mall in Hunan, China.

house-mushroom-house-cincinnatiThe Mushroom House in Cincinnati, Ohio, where I live (um, in Cincinnati, not in the house). It’s for sale, so share a doobie and make an offer, man. And stay mellow.

house-south-koreas-mr-toilet-sim-jae-duck-famous-for-beautifying-public-toiletsHome of South Korea’s “Mr. Toilet” Sim Jae-duck (a politician known for beautifying public utilities). Cleaning is a breeze–just flush.

house-2-the-paro-taktsang-monastery-is-tucked-away-on-a-rock-face-in-bhutans-paro-valley-the-complex-has-been-around-since-the-17th-century-monks-who-practice-the-local-form-of-buddhismHome of the Paro Taktsang monks of Bhutan since the 17th century. They would have left, but couldn’t figure out how to get down.

house-church-2A home for God?  This “deconstructed church” was designed by California architect Michael Jantzen, but God refused to fund the project.

house-summer-hot-meanwhile-inside-my-head-castle-neuschwansteinWe’ll be home for the holidays, so drop by, won’t ya? And bring the kids; we’ll make room. It’s cramped, but we love it.

“Where we love is home – home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.”  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Mitchellaneous, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Home is Where the Odd Is

1. bdeckard92 says:

For number one we would have also accepted, “Where they actually live In between a rock and a hard place….

2. Great quote and cool pics! Home sweet home! Thank you for sharing. Ps that house on the island made me nervous!

3. Ha! Pretty cool. We have a neat round house in these parts. I call it the cistern house. Come to find out it’s really the septic tank house. I don’t know what would make someone think, oh look, a cesspool, I’d really like to live in that. 🙂

4. Okay, you had me going with the church so I had to google Michael Jantzen. His photos are really cool. Weird, but cool!

5. Amy Parmeter says:

Delightful pictures – and lovely final quote!

6. Really enjoyed this post! I was born and raised in Cincinnati and have been going home for all of my adult life but somehow just discovered The Mushroom House when I was home this September. Had to stop the car and get out to take pictures…..how much fun would it be to live there?! If only it had a bit more yard!

7. Very crazy and FUN! Enjoyed it Mitch… thank you! 🙂

8. dawnlizjones says:

Oh, give me my home, where the buffalo roam….

9. oneta hayes says:

That housing addition on the shopping mall has obviously been built by one builder since it is laid out in such a manner and all the houses are alike. I wonder how that was possible since it was illegal. Looks pretty smart though. But hard to get the cars in the garage? 😀

• mitchteemley says:

I’m sure the mall owners must have known. I’m guessing it was illegal in the sense that it wasn’t state authorized (this is China, after all). The owners were kicked out :>(. The buildings are now used as housing for migrant workers.

10. Roos Ruse says:

That’s one terrific night cap for a long day, Mitch. Annd I have a connection on this clear, beautiful Washington night and can tell you so! Truly there’s no place like home.

11. Tim says:

Wow. That deconstructed Church is frightening… so postmodern

12. Pingback: Negotiations; A medical pickup line | Thily Fin

13. kerbey says:

I just realized I must like ordinary, cookie-cutter things. These disturb me, especially the glass. No privacy gives me the heebeejeebs.

Fascinating homes, every one. Thank you for the fun tour, Mitch, and the invitation to drop by your humble little castle!

15. bg says:

ok …..i gotta say it …that 1st house rocked 😊

16. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Fun stuff. I have a dream some day to be full time writer and have a camp with all sorts of places like these for people to stay and get away. It’s fun to see what other people have come up with.

Thanks, brother,

17. Sakhi says:

Wow ! What a beautiful post. Such easy on the eyes homes. Keep up the good work and keep smiling always. 😊🌹

18. Pingback: Dark Sayings | Thily Fin

19. Awesome photographs! I love pages like this! Bizarre, but appealing. Curious what the deconstructed church looks like inside!