Advent

presentation1

The season of Advent has begun. The word advent means “to arrive” in a notable or surprising way (Oxford Dictionary). Hence, it serves as the root of our word “adventure,” which implies daring, the unknown. In short: an experience that can change a person forever. If they let it.

“He is not safe, but he is good.”  ~C. S. Lewis

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Advent

1. You are right about daring to go beyond the places that are safe, and letting something change you. It is not easy to say “yes”. You have reminded me that poetry takes you into that mysterious territory. I have decided to use it as a spiritual practice this advent…to hold steady in the places of unknown. Thank you for this post, and the C.S. Lewis quote.

2. Happy Advent, brother! One of my most favorite times of year as I can run around announcing:
    Jesus is coming! Jesus is coming!!

I’m so excited! Every day is Christmas Eve!

3. Great reminder! I love this season. 🙂 Those awaiting the Messiah could not comprehend the greatness that was coming.

4. Mitch, this reminds me of something a Biblical studies teacher once said about our journey with God. “One, if you’re traveling with God, you must get out of the driver’s seat. And two, be sure your seat belt is on, because it’s going to be a wild ride!”

5. oneta hayes says:

Being obedient to God will take one on a great adventure.

6. Roos Ruse says:

Excellent post, Mitch. No other adventure has excited or filled my life so magnificently as the Christian journey. I must concur with Lewis.

7. TC Robinson says:

Thanks, Mitch. It’s quite an adventure! And who better to quote than someone who knew about adventure – C.S. Lewis.

8. John S says:

Hi Mitch,Here is what I will be doing at the jail during Advent.  When I was doing the Preacher thing for over 25 years I was very much into the Church Year.  At the jail I follow that year starting with Advent and going all the way through Pentecost.    By the way it is OK not to read what I am sending you.  It is way to much not like the and getting to the point like you do.  But remember Mitch I was a Pastor for over 25 years, which means I was always to long and took forever to get to the point. John

Changed forever — Hurray! I hate to think what kind of person I would be without Jesus. Doing life with him IS a great adventure!

10. Sandi Staton says:

I am so grateful that God, through His Son, Jesus, came to me and changed my life forever. I know that I am loved by the King!

11. I like how you defined advent and even gave its origins.