Label-Free Socks

10731210_10204990072052349_3820551818430126158_nI’m wearing label-free socks right now. That’s pretty mundane news, I realize. But the point is that, thanks to my father (lower right hand corner in the above photo) and many others like him…

my socks don’t have swastikas on them.

3g03802u_photistoricOn the 11th day of the 11th month, the horror known as World War I ended. The date was appropriately named Armistice (“the laying down of arms”) and is still called 11-11-rememberance-dayArmistice Day in the UK, in France and New Zealand, and in many other countries. Some call it Remembrance Day. In the United States we call it Veterans Day.

Whatever you call it, thank a veteran when you meet them, and take a moment to pray for them–perhaps at the traditional 11th hour. It was their courage, after all, that helped make it possible for us to choose label-free socks, cars, homes…and lives.

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Label-Free Socks

1. DeniseBalog says:

Thank you Mitch for your post on Remembering our Veterans. denise

2. Jennie says:

And thanks to your father and countless other brave Veterans, we are not speaking Japanese or German as our primary language, and we are a free country. Freedom is never free; it’s our Veterans who give the ultimate sacrifice. Yesterday at school my preschool class sang a host of patriotic songs. We learned how to properly shake hands and thank a Vet. Great post!

3. carhicks says:

We all need to take the time to remember those who fought and sacrificed so much more than just once a year. Great post!

4. RGS says:

I come from, and married into, a military family. My husband, ex-Special Forces, has always stated that while he may not always agree with a particular opinion, he will defend (and has) your right to have that opinion with his life. Thank you Mitch for your thoughtful post.

5. oneta hayes says:

What a neat detail to remind us of our blessings! I would never have put label-free socks in that category before. Thanks to all the men and women who made that possible.

6. I must have missed the Nazi imperative to conquer the world and force the oppressed to wear swastika socks, but other than that I wholeheartedly concur, ‘lest we forget’. My daughters will be taking part in the annual Remembrance Sunday service as Girl Guides tomorrow, and yesterday all three of my children’s schools had the customary two minutes silence. It is important to do these things.

• mitchteemley says:

It is important, indeed! (The socks were in a little known memo by Hermann Goering. The symbol would be called a “swashtika” and would feature the motto: “Just do it! says der Fuehrer.” OK, so I may have made that up ;>).

7. charlypriest says:

Look at those faces, kids faces doing the unthinkable. Is quite remarkable. I served myself, and it still amazes me how young we look and were (Although I´m 34 but got into the service at 19)and the responsibility we had put on our shoulders. Specially your fathers generation, I´m from Spain, so I would really be speaking some kind of Spanish-Germanic if it wasn´t for those young faces in the photo and millions like them. Great tribute.