Once a Teacher, Always a Teacher

teacher

“A teacher is someone who talks in someone else’s sleep.”  ~W. H. Auden

“One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.”  ~Malala Yousafzai

“I touch the future. I teach.”  ~Christa McAuliffe

⇔ ⇔ ⇔

Thanks to my friend Charles French (who is both a fine writer and a teacher, by the way) for the 3 Quote Challenge. I meant to post this last month for World Teachers’ Day. (I’m turning in yet another late assignment!) But, then, teachers are always teaching.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Once a Teacher, Always a Teacher

1. Hmmm… the 3 quote challenge… I like that! Is it ‘making the point in three quotes?’ Or are there other ground rules?

2. tabitha59reachingout says:

Can I be honest here? Again! Personally, I think it’s sad that your teacher felt he or she had to correct the sweet gift/note you gave her. I believe a great teacher would focus on the heart of the gift and wait until your English class before he or she worked on your punctuation, etc. I can’t help but think all those corrections (on a gift !!!)would have hurt a child. Maybe you’re a tough guy, but if I was a teacher and I got a note like that, I would have felt mean spirited to write all those corrections down and hand it back to you. Okay, so there you have it. 🙂 Debbie

• mitchteemley says:

If it makes you feel any better, Debbie, the note’s not real. I created it (sorry!). Just having fun with the idea of a teacher who can’t help making corrections. I’m sure most of the real Mrs. Ks of the world would restrain themselves, albeit with difficulty, from correcting a note like that.

• tabitha59reachingout says:

Oh, for heavens sake! You had me completely fooled. 🙂 Well, I am glad “she” isn’t real. Now I am laughing. Have a great day! 🙂

3. tabitha59reachingout says:

oops! SHE. Your teacher was a “she”. My grammar error. Ha! 🙂

4. This made me LOL. I was a teacher in public education for 15 years(middle school and high school) and have just recently “stopped” being a teacher “professionally”…..in that scope anyway. I can so relate to this note because now I have a son who is 5 and started kindergarten this year and I’m learning how to be the “parent” and not the teacher. His teacher taught me/us it’s okay for him to write everything out phonetically instead of correctly, which I didn’t know was “the right thing to do” and when I helped him on his first few homework assignments I kept correcting his spelling…..until he told me I wasn’t supposed to, LOL.

5. Delyn Merce says:

Good teachers rule! And the cruel ones…there’s a special place for them south of everywhere 🙂

6. I knew you created it, knowing your humor, and creativity. Thank you for the compliment. I’m a teacher and always a teacher, but with age, comes the wisdom – teach with intention of teaching without the logistic of what your “teacher” did to you.

7. Mitch,

I think it was Woody Allen who wrote: “Those who can’t do, teach. And those who can’t teach, teach gym.”

Nice post.

8. Laura Grace says:

I was recently and temporarily hired as a music teacher even though I am not certified, and have no experience. This school quite simply, has no music teacher so I was offered the job. It’s quite the challenge, and an unexpected one at that. Hence, I have not had as much time to write and pursue other passions. It’s a marvelous opportunity, one I’m sure to remember. I have great respect for good teachers.

9. W. H Auden once went to Sunday School in my church. Before they moved to U.S.A. Of course. But I never read that quote. That’s one to look up. Thank you’

10. This is fantastic. The best teachers cannot be taught, they teach because they love to do so and they cannot help but do anything else!

11. “A teacher is someone who talks in someone else’s sleep.” ~Never heard this before, I love it!!!