All the Time in the World

rod-taylor

I saw the movie The Time Machine as a kid and immediately became obsessed with the idea of time travel. I held my breath as George departed, determined to make the future better, and his friend the Scottish botanist observed, “He has all the time in the world.” Then I swallowed the lump in my throat and rushed to the library to check out the H.G. Wells novel that (along with fellow steampunk Jules Verne’s works) formed the template for modern science fiction.

Years later, I was invited to a liquidation sale of props and costumes from the old MGM Studios. Some iconic items were available for absurdly low prices (back then no one considered them collectibles). These included Judy Garland’s ruby slippers and Scarlett O’Hara’s curtain dress from Gone with the Wind. But the thing my eyes fixed on was the time machine, the one that Rod Taylor had travelled to the future in! The asking price was just $1300. Still, I was fresh out of college and that was half a year’s rent. So I shed a tear and walked away.

Damn, damn, damn—I should have found a way!

I still obsess over time travel, but my understanding has changed. First of all, I now realize that time travel is not science fiction, it’s science fact. The relentless progression from past to future is a matter of perception. Time itself simply is. Have you ever heard someone say, “We visited the Grand Canyon, and it was breathtaking”? Why did they say “was”? Has the Grand Canyon ceased to exist? No, their experience of it has, but the Grand Canyon itself simply is. Are we like toddlers who think our mothers cease to exist when they leave the room?

Time also simply is. If you look at our planet from the moon you can view the Grand Canyon and the Great Wall of China in one glance. No “time” is expended in looking from one to the other. The entire earth simply is. Better yet, when you look at the night sky you can see stars that currently exist “alongside” stars that exploded billions of years ago. Furthermore, quantum experiments show that particles can both exist and not exist at the same time, depending on the perspective from which they are viewed. Experiments at the Large Hadron Collider in Lucern, Switzerland have demonstrated that particles travelling faster than light arrive at their destination before they left. In other words: in the past.

So, if space and time are one (and quantum mechanics says they are), then yesterday is still there. The implications are astounding: If the past is still there within the woof andtime-machine warp of spacetime, then anyone who has ever lived still is. Which means that to exist—even for a moment—is to live forever. Or at least until the next big bang (“Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth.” Isaiah 65:17). Hence, a narrow, destructive life is not just a shame, it’s a stain on eternity. And an expansive, healing life is not just noble, it’s an immortal treasure.

You have all the time in the world. Make it count.

This entry was posted in Books, Memoir, Movies, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to All the Time in the World

1. Mitch
    Well said and well written as usual.
    Reminded me of another saying, “you have all the time in the world till you don’t!”
    I often advise people to spend your Time with people who you
    Like, Respect and Trust. That is Time well spent whether in person or
    even in social media!
    Brad
    Brad James, The Business Zoo

2. I wish there was a “love” button. This was amazing.

3. claire says:

Fascinating scientific explanation! Thanks for such a good post.
    My own theory on time is that it is part of the creation. We live within it, but God created that too, he and the spirit world operate outside it, which answers the questions like “Who made God? Where did he come from?”
    Time is a fascinating subject isn’t it!

4. Michael Wilhelm says:

This was also the last line in the Bond film On Her Majesties Secret Service.

5. What wonderful sentiments, Mitch! And what an amazing story you share. So, you were (still are, in a sense) at a fabulous MGM Studios auction that included Judy Garland’s ruby slippers! Well, I am a great fan of time travel as well. “Back to the Future” alone brought in the biggest audience to time travel ever and, as you say, the studio people saw no great value in the movie props. That magical DeLorean, the key vehicle in the film (as there were three cars) was left to be abused by the elements and the fans as little more than a side show exhibit at Universal Studios. It’s been completely restored since then. I hear that Judy Garland’s ruby slippers will soon be restored too. I wonder how the ole time machine is doing these days.

6. Susan says:

My mind is blown right now. I love this post, I adore ideas that challenge common acceptance and that really pushes the limits of ‘what is possible’ and what has previously been said through history and faith.

7. I’m not sure if your conclusion is fact but your argument is laser sharp. I’m impressed with the way you build one premise on another until the reader is hooked and left sputtering at the end trying to think of some way to refute your words. Also, you made a good argument without resorting to the “religion” card, except for that one quote. 😉

8. Also, there is no such thing as the present moment since by the time our brain is aware of it, the moment is past.
    Actually, it’s best we not think of these things as they make our brain hurt.

9. Mitch, I often don’t read your posts because I know if I do you will make me think, and I’ll lose time that I should have spent on other projects. Then comes the day when I go back and catch up on the blogs I skipped. Because those are days I’ve shoved the tyranny of the urgent down the guilt chute, i read. Not time wasted, but time invested.

10. Nice write…quite interesting.

11. anitabacha says:

Yes we do have all the time in the world …rightly said and beautifully written… I saw the movie ‘Gone with the wind ‘ when I was a kid and I thought that Clark Gable looked like my dad ! Time Is …I saw and loved ‘The Dressmaker ‘ on the Air Mauritius flight from London Heathrow and now I know I will travel to Australia…you mention The Great Wall of China ‘…what a coincidence! I was in Beijing last August to visit the Beijing Book Fair and I climbed the Wall! I was surprised with myself that I did it.
    Thanks for this awesome write up. Time Is! Love Is! ❤️

12. Pingback: All the Time in the World — Mitch Teemley | Penn Wealth Publishing

13. Lady G says:

I LOVE this movie and will watch it every time it comes on 🙂
    Anything about time gets my attention.

14. Kate Loveton says:

Reblogged this on Odyssey of a Novice Writer and commented:
    Okay, I am going to be upfront and just admit it: I have fallen in love with a BLOG.

Mitch Teemley has one of the best blogs I have come across since I have been traveling around the blogosphere. Mitch describes himself as a story teller (writer, filmmaker, public speaker). He brings a lot of his heart to his writing and his Christian perspective. He is never heavy handed – I like that. He makes a point, but with a fine touch – he will never bludgeon you with his point of view.

I enjoy Mitch’s posts the way I do a box of fine, expensive chocolate: I choose a serving each day and savor it. I hope you will check out his blog – it is really worth your time. To get you started, I am reblogging one of his posts.

Enjoy!

15. noelleg44 says:

A wonderful post on many levels. I, too, fell in love with the idea of time travel after seeing that movie. The remake didn’t grab me nearly as much. I laughed a lot in the episode of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon or Leonard bought the time machine prop and placed it in their living room!
    I think physics is redefining our concept of time, more revelations to come. Most of all, I liked the way you sequed to making time count. Lovely ending!