Change a Life

conversation

Dear Fellow Believer,

Just a reminder that Jesus never called us to “witness” to others. He called us to be his witnesses.* It’s who we are that matters, and who we are comes down to who He is. It’s not so much our job to persuade others of “the facts” as it is to show them our hearts. Has he changed your life? (He has mine.) Then start there. Tell them your story.

Facts are disputable, changed lives are not.

Changed lives change lives.

Love, Your Brother

*Acts 1:8; Acts 22:15; Matthew 5:16

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Change a Life

1. Good Word! Sharing our walk of faith is one of the foundations of being a gentle witness! My life has changed! When sharing my journey, I pray to God and ask Him to help me be a good listener….and then, listen some more! I agree, it comes down to who He is that matters! Thank you for sharing your walk of faith!

2. John S says:

Dear Fellow Believer,

Just a reminder that Jesus never called us to “witness” to others. He called us to be his witnesses.* It’s who we arethat matters, and who we are comes down to who He is. It’s not so much our job to persuade others of “the facts” as it is to show them our hearts. Has he changed your life? (He has mine.) Then start there. Tell them your story.

Facts are disputable, changed lives are not.

Changed lives change lives.

Love, Your Brother *Acts 1:8; Acts 22:15; Matthew 5:16 This is great Mitch.  I want to send this out to some others and get their view.  Their is a BIG difference in being a witness and being HIS WITNESS.  I always have a uncomfortable feeling when I hear folks saying I want to come into the jail and PREACH.  We do not need preachers in our jail but witness’s in our jail.  Lord today help me be a witness

3. chungwipff says:

I’m not a church goer. However, I do uphold and truly believe in the basic tenets of most religions, especially the one you have quoted “…show them our hearts.” I live in a Bible belt and I will tell you, most of the Christians I come across show their hearts to be deeply judgmental and hateful, not loving.

Thank you for expressing this positive sentiment.

• I’m a former “church goer” and totally relate and agree. While WWJD is a tad legalistic, Jesus’ teachings were indeed something new and are still relevant becuase they work. But Mitch touches on how the “doing” should spring from a changed heart, and I infer not from a conscious effort to “do” what Jesus did. I always thought that fellow Christians who dwelt upon “eternal life,” and who were motivated out of a fear of hell, were missing the real point of the Christian life. Maybe those are the ones referred to in the text “Where were you when. . .” The “doing” is merely a thermometer of the heart. Sure, you can light a match under a thermometer and create a false reading; but that doesn’t change the temperature in the room.

• Sandi Staton says:

I too am a former “church goer”. Over a period of time, my eyes gradually opened to the legalism and rituals and church laws, that I feel liberated not going to church anymore. And guess what? God is still with me 24/7. He still hears and answers my prayers and He is still working on me.

• mitchteemley says:

Sorry to hear you’ve had such negative encounters, Kismet. Glad this didn’t fall into that category. Indeed, the Apostle Paul called Jesus’ followers to “speak the truth in love.”

• mitchteemley says:

Sandi, I’m sorry to hear of your negative experience, but glad to hear that “He still hears and answers (your) prayers.” I would encourage you, however, to seek out fellowship with other believers, whether in a Bible study or casual setting, or even a church that feels like “home”–as long as it’s a loving [not perfect–it’s made up of humans] and biblically sound gathering. (Hebrews 10:24-25)

4. Pingback: Change a Life — Mitch Teemley – The Art of Art

5. Exactly, Mitch. Sad to say, this is the reason I call myself a follower of Jesus instead of a Christian. I never want to be confused with those who use His name to accuse and condemn; however, I always want to pray for them to open their hearts to His love and grace.

6. What a wonderful distinction.

7. bdeckard92 says:

Very well said, how many have been turned from Christ because of a pushy or self righteous rant at someone? I’m no expert on the bible but I’m pretty sure somewhere in there it tells us to be an example and be ready to share why we have so much joy…

• mitchteemley says:

On the nose! “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.” ~1 Peter 3:15
      Also, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” ~Matthew 5:16

8. lisa roitsch says:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful and truthful reminder! We all need it! 😍

9. The proof is in the pudding, wouldn’t you say? Of course not, because you (and I) are writers, and cliches are verboten. Having said that, the proof (testimony) is in our actions, not our words. We can proseletize all we want about the Lord, but if people see something different in the way we live our lives, our words are without merit.

Thanks for the reminder to focus more on the way we live our lives and treat those we encounter as ambassadors for Jesus. Good stuff. 🙂

• mitchteemley says:

Amen, Paula! You reminded me of the popular paraphrase of St. Francis, “Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary use words.” This phrase is sometimes taken to mean “don’t talk about it,” but it’s real meaning is, “Let your actions match your words!”