Televolution

simpsons-aired-in-1987-its-really-evolvedD’oh! How television has evolved!  In 1989, human culture took a giant slouch forward with the arrival of the most wonderfully dysfunctional family ever. 28 years later The Simpsons is the longest running scripted program–and one of the most influential–in U.S. television history.

It’s hard to fathom now, but many American parents were afraid to let their children watch The Simpsons in those early years for fear it would have a bad influence on them. To which my wife and I sympathetically replied, “Don’t have a cow, man!” We gleefully solved the problem by watching the series with our kids and regularly remarking, “Don’t act like Bart or you’ll grow up to be a Homer!” It worked. We would often overhear them admonishing one another when either did something sneaky or selfish, “Hey, don’t be a Bart!”

So thank you, Simpsons, for teaching us how not to be. And for making us laugh so hard that our beverages of choice frequently emanated from our collective noses.

One final note: To those who don’t like The Simpsons, I’d simply like to add, with love and respect, “Eat my shorts.”  ;>)

This entry was posted in Humor, Mitchellaneous, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Televolution

1. Erika Kind says:

Can I have some salt, please 😄😄

2. jlfatgcs says:

You are right and I was wrong. I was the parent who wanted to ban my kids from the Simpsons. Then again, my parents wanted to ban me from Saturday Night Live.

3. jac forsyth says:

‘Don’t act like Bart or you’ll grow up like Homer’ that’s completely brilliant. I wasn’t allowed to watch Monty Python growing up. I subsequently brought my kids up on it.

4. Paula says:

At the soup kitchen yesterday, a fellow and I were talking about The Simpsons. We discussed some trivia. Like, the writer, (Matt Groenig?), chose Springfield to be the name of the town they lived in because there is a Springfield in every state of the continental USA. A couple of my favorite things about the show: 1) The way Marge would say in a trembling voice, “Oh, Homer.” 2) How it was as big a deal for celebrities to get themselves on the show as it was to be on The Muppets.
    I’m glad you and your wife didn’t have a cow. We all need “backward” teaching.

5. cat9984 says:

I wonder how many Homers there are in our nuclear plants?

6. Laurie Welch says:

“Don’t have a cow, man” in Bart’s voice is indelibly etched in my brain, er ear!

7. Roos Ruse says:

Dude, I just mentioned The Simpsons in a blog comment this morning – before I found this post in the inbox heap. I like your strategy. Smacks of “defeating my enemy when I make him my friend.”