Monogamy Is Not Natural!

“There are three persons in this relationship…”

Mitch Teemley

mm8_monopolybig

“Friends say to me a lot, ‘Monogamy is not natural.’  And I always, say, ‘Well, neither are toilets, but when you don’t use them, things get very messy.’” ~Andrew Gurland (creator of the TV series Married)

My wife and I are known for having a strong marriage. And it’s true, we do. But what’s not true is that things “just worked out” (our wedding counselor advised us not to marry because of our differences), or that we simply “got lucky” and found our soulmate and so don’t have to work at it. Hah!

There are three persons in this relationship. And our marriage works because we are both doggedly devoted to that third person: Us.

It’s true, monogamy is not natural.

It’s supernatural.

View original post

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Monogamy Is Not Natural!

1. Bonsai says:

Excellent! It wasn’t natural until I met the most wonderful man in the world! I cannot imagine any other state but monogamy (3rd time was the charm . . .we are 14 years in!)

2. dawnlizjones says:

Well said, “doggedly”, like a pit bull.

3. Roos Ruse says:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll be bold here again. Any time a healthy, balanced marriage fails somebody forgot the Third Strand that makes it US.

4. Isn’t this the truth. ^_^

5. Pingback: Things Well Said: Mitch Teemly | Boon4You

6. Boon Tarkas says:

I have to reblog this. I hope you don’t mind

7. I’ve been on the fringe of society in a lot of ways, except when it comes to commitment and relationships–then I’m a stickler *wry laugh*

There’s a lot of truth in that phrase, “doggedly devoted.” Dogs are loyal, forgiving, and generally a pleasure to be around. A healthy marriage requires its participants to be the same!

9. Veena says:

A very beautiful post.Goes straight into the heart.