Us vs. Them

tsunami

I am profoundly disturbed by the current rise of nationalism in Europe, in the Americas, in the Middle East, in nearly every nation on earth. Powered by the false logic of isolationism and protectionism, each successive wave of nationalism crashes down with increasing vehemence on anyone who can be blamed. A current meme urges Americans to support “Veterans Instead of Migrants.” This is a false dichotomy—there is no legislation in the U.S. requiring citizens to choose between these two factions. Nevertheless, leaders who argue against such “patriotism” are sucked under. And in their place, self-serving extremists rise on the tide of nationalism, spewing the seductive froth of Us vs. Them.

The last time the flood rose to this level (the 1930s), fed by storms of recession, it adolf-hitler_00315699erupted in a worldwide tsunami. Opportunistic ideologues (Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo, Stalin) “rescued” their nations, empowered by nationalistic fervor, and murdered millions before their neighbors finally banded together and beat back the tempest. Three lifetimes later, the world is still suffering from the devastation of that event.

isis-logoCan we stanch this new tide of nationalism before new tyrants rise up on the flotsam of patriotic fervor, and drag us into World War III, killing millions in the process? I pray we can. Because, guess what?

There is no them. There never was. There is only us.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies…so that you may truly be the children of your Father in heaven.”  ~Matthew 5:44-45

⇔ ⇔

Addendum: My prayers go out for those slain and wounded in Istanbul. Although this post is not directly about them, their suffering was its inspiration. We have all lost a part of our family.

This entry was posted in Culture, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Us vs. Them

1. Amen.

Because we all need a good laugh, you had me at, “I am profoundly disturbed.” Sometimes the only defense in a world gone mad is to just embrace it.

2. Roos Ruse says:

After a late work night I really needed some positive input. Thank you Mitch.

3. Roos Ruse says:

Reblogged this on Whats Next and commented:
    From the marvelous mind of Mitch:

4. Nancy V says:

I agree to a point. Identifying an enemy and being in the position to keep that enemy from disrupting your lifestyle and destroying you is important and wise.
    -N

5. I have to believe that there is a more practical option between what is being done now and on an official level and what some are saying should be done.

6. Laurie Welch says:

Nail meet head. Thank you ❤

7. Bonsai says:

Absolutely! Countries for the sake of managing local affairs but not for pride.

8. Hate, Control, Suppression of another human being – is a violent act on your brother/sister.
    We are all human beings – colour is just biology – called Melanin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanin No human being has a right on another. We are one family.

But there are some -for what reason – I don’t understand – must control, must suppress. What is morality!

We can’t see Air or Gravity ? But it exist. We can’t see the law of Karma – but it does exist – why don’t us humans understand – we are one family.

Hilter – burnt books why – oh man it’s all disgusting.

sad sad.

Sorry – i got carried away.

Great post. clearly great post, got me going. thanks for sharing.

9. Yes – we have to protect ourselves from those who aren’t quite on the planet of treating humans with respect.

10. Erika Kind says:

Awesome and you summed it up perfectly: There is only us! Whatever one of us does against another one affects everybody – in good and in bad actions!

11. syddent says:

Well said. I become disappointed in humanity at times. But there are far more of people who see that “there is no them…there is only us.” I hope we can move beyond the fear that drives us to make “them.”

12. radiostudy says:

That’s good, Mitch. I’d like to ‘share’ it, but don’t know how. Blessings!

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Mitch Teemley wrote:

> mitchteemley posted: ” I am profoundly disturbed by the current rise of > nationalism in Europe, in the Americas, in the Middle East, in nearly every > nation on earth. Powered by the false logic of isolationism and > protectionism, each successive wave of nationalism crashes down w” >

• mitchteemley says:

On Facebook, Anne? At the bottom of the blog post under “Share this” are a number of boxes. Just click on the Facebook one, then type any words you want to add and click Share. Voila. Thanks!

13. dawnlizjones says:

Thanks, Mitch, for your sanity. I am concerned that there would be a Muslim repeat of the travesty such as was leveled at our Asian-american brethren here in the US during WW2. At the same time, the terrorist threat is at a higher pitch of derangement (largely due to more sophisticated technology), and part of government is to protect its populace.

14. I agree with you sir. I wish more people would realize we are one world, it shouldn’t matter what race, nationality, or religion anyone is, we should stop killing one another, and realize just as we have lost many to war, there are many we call our enemy that are losing their families, their friends, many of which are innocent and just caught in the cross fires of war, and they are suffering.

I can only pray someday people see that light. The world certainly doesn’t seem to be headed that way though.

15. John Lewis says:

Couldn’t agree more, been a theme of mine in many of my posts. Thanks for the great post, as usual!!

16. Thanks for kicking off a good subject for discussion, Mitch. Is there a “good” patriotism apart from nationalism? I tried to answer this in my post below. Regards, Vern

17. Paula says:

Well said, as usual. Thanking God you actually think out what you want to say instead of spewing impulsive and destructive “seductive froth.” (someday me talk pretty like you) Nicely done, Mitch

18. Nailed it Mitch, you’re my write-in on the 2016 ballot. To date Mickey Mouse has been my choice, but you seem “real”. I also am going to share on FB. Thanks

19. kateulrich says:

Thank you for the like on my blog. And thank you for this article….right on the money!! I wrote a similar article here : https://kateulrich.wordpress.com/2016/03/14/what-living-abroad-taught-me-about-christianity-and-politics-part-3-america-must-get-off-the-road-to-germanys-fate/
    God bless you.

20. Julia says:

We are They.

21. I agree! We’re doing a lot to blame these conventional leaders and doing nothing to check our hatred towards other nations, races, and religions. There is only Us. If we stop, this crazy wave of nationalism will die. if we keep supporting these leaders and fueling our hatred, then we’re all going to burn, once again.

I wrote a piece on nationalism recently (https://thesocialmatter.blog/2016/12/02/nationalism-is-here-to-haunt-us-again/) and I would love for you to read, share, and spread the message of practicing humanism before nationalism or patriotism. Cheers