A Filmmaker’s Journal

Film-crew-dusk

Fame vs. Flame

“Fame! I’m gonna live forever, I’m gonna learn how to fly. I’m gonna make it to heaven. Baby, remember my name!”  Lyrics from the title song of a once-famous movie that, ironically, most people under 30 have never heard of.

I just finished directing my first feature length film, Over-the-Rhine, an intense, emotional drama about forgiveness and redemption (post-production will take another three or four months). To accomplish this, I have been entrusted with an amount of money that, although tiny by Hollywood standards, is nevertheless terrifyingly large. By that standard, at least, it’s the biggest event of my life.

It’s my goal as a filmmaker to impact people’s lives. But will I? How many people will remember Over-the-Rhine (or my name, “baby”) a thousand years from now? Heck, how many people will remember it five years from now?

“Fame is fleeting,” the expression goes. But fame doesn’t matter. What matters is flame. What matters is that my film (or this blog post, or what I said to that homeless guy I drove to the shelter last week) ignites a spark of truth, of healing, of transformation.

Fame fades. But flames spread. It can begin with the intolerant guy who has a reality check while watching my movie and, as a result, raises his children a little more graciously, treats that clumsy barista a little more kindly. When his children (or the lightning_starting_firebarista) pass on the spark of forgiveness they’ll be passing a flame ignited by a movie they may never have heard of. And yet that flame may still be burning a thousand years from now.

So how do you ignite that kind of fire? You don’t. You go to the Source that lit the bush that “was not consumed” (Exodus 3:2) and let Him ignite you. Then you pass it on. Again and again and again. Because fame may be fleeting. But flame—that kind of flame—

Lives forever.

“He makes His messengers winds, and His servants flames of fire.”  ~Hebrews 1:7

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Memoir, Movies, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to A Filmmaker’s Journal

1. Spot on! When we get our hands in there and try to make our fire burn brighter, we’ve lost focus. I’ve had to learn patience … not fun by any standards. But I have been blessed time after time when I stopped seeking FAME instead of the FLAME.

Great post.

2. Nancy V says:

Someone asked me if I wanted to be famous as an author. I thought about it and decided all I wanted was an audience for my work. Good post.
    -N

3. Thanks for a nice dose of perspective.

4. GP Cox says:

I’ve never looked for fame, but I do want wish you all the best with your movie.
    I’ve been following you a while now, but rarely have the time to comment. My apologies.

5. Well said!👍👍👍👍

6. atimetoshare.me says:

Sounds like the beginning of a great adventure. Keep us posted.

7. Congratulations ! Love the message you are passing on to tour children and how you stay on your walk of faith during this entire process! Great post!

8. Terri Nida says:

Wonderful to read! Thank you for reading my blog so that I could be introduced to your blog. I really like your message and plan to stop by often. You have passed on the flame today.

SO inspiring, Mitch!! Thank you for a memorable image of spreading the fire of God (as we allow ourselves to be the fuel)–flames that are never consumed but continue to ignite kindness, forgiveness, peace, and joy, wherever we go, because those are characteristics of the Source within us. What a privilege we have to be servant-flames of his fire!

10. r_prab says:

Wonderful post,Sir! You are inspiring as always! Congratulations! It is a great accomplishment! You must have created a memorable film! Your belief and convictions must have transpired into your work and I am confident it would have the flame that you speak about! All the good wishes to you and the team. I will be eager to watch it on its release! 🙂

11. Roos Ruse says:

That’s superb imagery there, Mitch. It’s a great message we can all take to heart. I can hardly wait to see the film. Congratulations, my friend.

12. WOW!!! That was powerful Mitch…so much truth that I will be chewing on it for a while. I look forward to seeing your film, and I already know I am going to love it and pass the ‘flame’ along! I pray the Lord will continue to bless you as you write, direct and do all He leads you to! To GOD be the glory!!! 👆🏻👏🏻👍🏻🙏🏻

13. Sasha & Lola says:

Good luck with your film. I’ve been an extra on several films here in northern Norway. None of the films are out yet. One is due out this summer. It’s a Norwegian-Dutch production called Disappearance, directed by Boudewijn Koole. Cheers from Zoe at https://2bloggingcats.wordpress.com/

14. Hi Mitch, Thanks for visiting my blog and “liking” my poem “Force.” Dunno if you noticed but a link to my first screenplay was included below the poem. SURVIVALINPARADISE_by_Vernon_Miles_Kerr
    Best,
    Vern

15. Bitey Dog says:

Saucy wonderful sentiment! It was a joy to read. I hope your film does ignite a flame.

16. Pingback: What I Found In June |

17. Hi mitchteemley. Now I have never trusted any man controlled religions or anything else nor ever had thoughts of being rich and famous! Too many people I would not want to meet. Writing is a passion that keeps me sane and alive! If it reads fine for me I am happy anybody else that likes it a bonus. May I wish you every success with your film the process sounds exciting! Thank you for liking my poem “Wreckage!” Truly appreciate it. Peace and Best Wishes. The Foureyed Poet.

18. Pingback: To be Immortal | Mitch Teemley