Got Serenity?

Someone's Wrong

There’s a reason the great theologian Reinhold Niebuhr’s famous “Serenity Prayer” is one of the most memorized and recited passages in the world. Let us join our AA brothers and sisters in praying it as often as needed. About every 5 minutes.

Here’s the full length version:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Wishing you a serene life forever.  ~Mitch

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Mitchellaneous, Poetry, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Got Serenity?

1. Thank you for sharing your walk of faith! You are right about the serenity prayer and the 5 minutes! That made me laugh because it is so true!

2. The full length version of that prayer is awesome! I’ve never read it in its entirety before today.

3. Erika Kind says:

I love the serenity prayer. A serene forever to you too, Mitch!

4. GP Cox says:

The cartoon is hysterical. Can you just imagine? That poor guy will never get any sleep correcting those that are wrong on the internet!!!! Having the wisdom to know the difference is the part people seem to have trouble with!
    [I love that old line, “It must be true – I read it on the internet”]

I had no idea the Serenity Prayer included more than the first four lines. And what a powerful prayer it is, covering every eventuality of life. Thank you, Mitch, for sharing it!

6. Paula says:

Thanks once again for simple reminders, Mitch. In one of the groups I belonged to we always started the meeting with the full-length version. The more I recited it, the more I realized that, for me anyway, the three most important words in the whole prayer are “God…I surrender.”

Hope shooting is going well. I continue to pray for you and your crew.

7. Roos Ruse says:

Amen. And amen. Great post and an excellent reminder, Mitch.

8. Barbara Sage says:

Thank you for sharing this!