Yoda is Rolling Over in His Grave!

YodaIPR

Daisy-Ridley--Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-jpg

Well, sure, it got a few “technical” nominations (Best Special Effects–duh!) and Best Score, of course (John Williams sneezes Oscars). But where’s the love, people?  “In Peace Rest?”  No!  Rolling over in his grave is Yoda!

And another thing: IMHBCO (in my humble but correct opinion) there really ought to be a Best Action Movie category. I mean Ant-Man may not be freakin’ art, but it’s freakin’ fun, people!

Also, Best Picture should be divided (a la Golden Globes) into Drama and Comedy categories–cuz otherwise comedies ain’t never gonna feel the love!Inside-Out-Disgust_Wallpaper-HD1

Furthermore, when an animated movie is as brilliant as Inside Out and makes you cry like a colicky baby, it should be nominated for Best Picture, too!

Oh, and speaking of underappreciated gems, Mr. Holmes is lovely. Rent it or stream it!  And The Big Short is terrific too (even if, minus the F-word it would only be about 15 minutes long).

OK, rant over. You may now return to your humdrum non-movie star lives.

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Yoda is Rolling Over in His Grave!

1. Those fan driven successes at the box office are not always honored by the “Academy” folks.
    Avatar and Titanic were the exception…but as much fun as Star Wars is, it doesn’t rise to the level of those 2. … backs away slowly….☺

2. dawnlizjones says:

Haven’t seen Big Short, but Inside Out, Star Wars, Mr Holmes, and Ant-Man are fabulous!!! I agree with your humble and correct opin.

3. John S says:

My world at the jail is so CRAZy , my desk is so MESSY, that the other day I spent five minutes looking for my cell phone, and I had it in my hand. But today I am glad I opened your email Mitch. In a very strange way this is just what I needed, thanks. Now where did I put my cell phone….

4. I agree with your IMHBCO. Mad Max with 10 nominations? I didn’t bother to see it in the theater tried to watch it on satellite, wandered off in the first five minutes to check email, came back and changed channels.

• mitchteemley says:

I liked the new Mad Max film, actually. Although my wife didn’t. Her assessment: “They leave and then they come back.” ;>) But, oh, HOW they leave and come back! But I like “art” films, too. From popcorn movies to deep dramas–if they’re well done, I’m there!

5. You’re never wrong, ever, agreed…may the Force be with us.

6. yakpro2015 says:

Hi Mitch,I decided to not post my comments:Well, I don’t exactly agree with you on this one.  If felt Star Wars ONLY deserved nominations in the art and technology areas. Otherwise, I felt in mediocre at best. AND don’t get me started on Inside Out, what a waste of time that is.  There were so many wholes in it that I could drive a truck through. As far as tears, I hate when I realize I’m being manipulated into a reaction.  It is one of my biggest PIXAR disappointments, next to Brave. (Don’t even ask) I have worked close with Disney for a very long time and I was, am very let down by what is coming from them lately. Talk tears and should have been BEST PICTURE, Up. AND one more thing, WHY don’t they have awards for stuntmen, those guys that MAKE it action packed and believable? These people actually risk their lives for the film. Please!! Holms is an exceptional film.  Cried there.  Love reading your posts and you! Don’t stop, even if I don’t agree!! Joe YAKOVETIC PRODUCTIONS http://www.yakovetic.com 16221 Flallon Avenue Norwalk, CA 90650

cell: 909.241.6088

SDG Soli Deo Gloria “To God Alone the Glory”

From: Mitch Teemley To: yak_pro@yahoo.com Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 12:48 PM Subject: [New post] Yoda is Rolling Over in His Grave! #yiv2026195627 a:hover {color:red;}#yiv2026195627 a {text-decoration:none;color:#0088cc;}#yiv2026195627 a.yiv2026195627primaryactionlink:link, #yiv2026195627 a.yiv2026195627primaryactionlink:visited {background-color:#2585B2;color:#fff;}#yiv2026195627 a.yiv2026195627primaryactionlink:hover, #yiv2026195627 a.yiv2026195627primaryactionlink:active {background-color:#11729E;color:#fff;}#yiv2026195627 WordPress.com | mitchteemley posted: “Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the biggest box office hit of all time, was not nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture!  Seriously?Well, sure, it got a few “technical” nominations (Best Special Effects–duh!) and Best Score, of course (John Wil” | |

7. Roos Ruse says:

Really?! Seriously, I’m not surprised – the academy is very political. John Wayne wasn’t recognized by the academy until True Grit – which IMHBCO was not his best performance. I added Mr. Holmes to my list when it released! Can’t find The Big Short on Netflix. I appreciate your knowledgeable opinion.

• mitchteemley says:

The Big Short just opened in theaters, so it’ll be a while before it hits Netflix. Yeah, there’s always been a tension between box office hits and the Academy; if a movie is too successful it can’t be art. Although an occasional hit breaks through (e.g. Mad Max and The Martian this year). It’s the same way in all the arts.

8. toutparmoi says:

I can’t believe how many nominations The Revenant got. It has to be one of the most tedious movies I’ve ever sat through. One hour in, and I wishing a grizzly would burst into the cinema (yes, I saw it on the big screen) and put me out of my misery…

9. Mitch, you said it. No wonder the Academy is losing its followers. They have lost touch with the public.

10. fatmilton says:

My two cents worth (overpaid).. MOST awards are attempts at getting the lesser earners to be seen by more people and so very few awards earned on merits/quality. There are exceptions of course, just that I feel that some movies that should never have been made, earn awards as “art”
    For me, Batman is art 🙂