Please Don’t Forgive Me!

presentation1When I say Merry Christmas in public, I’m often rewarded with a two part response: First, the “Oh, you insensitive boob” look; then the “Ah, but your (baby boomer) generation doesn’t know any better” look.

Just for the record, I do know better. 9876176_1

The Christmases I grew up with were nearly as secular as the “Happy Holidays” are today. True, back then department store employees (whether Christian, Buddhist, or agnostic) said Merry Christmas 718b82dab2a3837511166bf96afc8352_hwhen they handed you your hula hoop or argyle socks. But most of the time it had no more meaning than when one atheist says “goodbye” (Old English for “God be with ye”) to another.

So please don’t forgive me when I wish you a Merry Christmas! Confront me. Rebuke me. Or better yet, ask me why. Because, after growing up saying those words but not believing them—Christmas means “Christ’s Sending”—I fell in love with the one who was sent.  And now I long to tell you about him!

I want you to know the joy I have in knowing him. And when I say Merry Christmas, it’s not because I’m a clueless dolt who doesn’t know any better.

Well, OK, I may be a clueless dolt, but I do know better. And if you’re not a believer, I want even more to say those words to you. Because Merry Christmas is not a secret handshake for club members, it’s an announcement of “good news of great joy for all people.” (Luke 2:10).

glowing-magic-boxIf I had a package for you that contained a million dollars, but you didn’t believe it contained a million dollars, I’d still want to give it to you. In fact I’d be even more excited about giving it to you. Have you ever seen someone open a box that contained a gift far more valuable than they were expecting?  Nothing better!

So Merry Christmas, my friend!

‘Cuz that’s just the kind of insensitive boob I am.

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Please Don’t Forgive Me!

1. And Merry Christmas to you as well!

2. atimetoshare says:

Merry Christmas to you, my blogging brother.

3. Erika Kind says:

Merry Christmas to you too, Mitch!

4. What a boobing dolt, you are.😇 Merry Xmas, Mitch!

5. Merry Christmas to you and yours from another not so clueless dolt!!

6. Jay says:

Merry Christmas.

7. claire says:

Well said! Thankfully the “Merry Christmas” greeting has yet to be erased in the UK and continues to be acceptable and popular, generally evoking a smile. Thank God! (Hope it stays that way!)

8. Yeah and may that Christmas (yours, mine or whoever) be very Merry indeed!

9. Dede says:

Holiday is a derivative of holy day so when you say happy holiday you are saying happy holiday. It’s about whether people can see Jesus in us the rest of the year than just now.

• mitchteemley says:

True enough, Dede. Although the term “holiday” has lost its original meaning in modern culture (just as “goodbye” has), evidenced by the fact that it’s applied to non-religious occasions (President’s birthdays, Labor Day, etc.). But, indeed, letting His light shine through us year-round is certainly a higher priority than what greetings we use use!

10. theancients says:

Brilliant post!
    Thank you very much & Merry Christmas.

11. At the risk of upsetting nitpickers—Merry Christmas, Mitch! And a Happy Holiday to everyone! 😀

12. dawnlizjones says:

I guess I’m just backwards enough to not realize it was that much of an issue…??? So, hey, merriest to you and your family! And thank you for this beautiful post.

13. This is great! All at once funny, true, and convicting. Merry Christmas from one insensitive boob to another!

14. Though i dont believe in a god i take kindness as it comes. Your religious meaning means nothing to me but for this exact reason i accept any kindness gleefully. You believe their is something all powerful beyond my universe and though i disagree im THANKFUL for the kindness you give. You could tell me “may the aliens be with you” and id STILL thank you. I dont care if i think your beliefs are absolutely insane(which i dont, i may not believe in a god, but i dont believe its impossible, id have to know everything to give you a definite on that) I may not believe or Want a deity, but kindness is kindness no matter where it comes from. and just like goodbye i will kindly say MERRY CHRISTMAS TOO.

15. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

I posted this last year (and still mean every word of it), but am hearing “Merry Christmas” in public much more this year. You?

16. cigarman501 says:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

17. carhicks says:

Merry Christmas to you Mitch and to all the world!

18. Enjoyed it again… had to post it on FB… 🙂 Thank you, Mitch! Merry Christmas!!! And Good-bye! 🙂

Why the disgruntlement over “Merry Christmas” greetings? Even if a person doesn’t celebrate the holy-day, he/she can still have a merry time–time with family, a good meal, etc. They could at least be good sports and just let the Christians celebrate. (I, for one, don’t like Halloween, but I don’t make a fuss over it.) Might it be that non-celebrants of Christmas wish to ignore Jesus and pretend he doesn’t exist? That becomes extremely difficult if stores play carols, and yards display creches, and people declare, “Merry CHRISTmas” everywhere. I often pray that holy curiosity will compel those who don’t know Jesus to learn more about him. One step in that direction and He will be there to guide their way to faith!