The Ugly Time

with its leafless trees

and sullen skies

the ugly time

But then I grew up

and came to understand

its barren beauty

how it saw the loss and longing in me

and sent its moons

to make tunnels through the clouds

and its shivering breezes

to whisper, Yes, we know

but Christmas is coming

Beautiful-Christmas-wreath-illustrator-vector-material-60251

This entry was posted in Culture, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Ugly Time

1. Indeed…”barren beauty”. 🙂

2. nanciec13 says:

I love this time…

3. That was beautiful, Mitch. And I like the naked beauty that comes with this time of year.

4. Jay says:

Well that’s a mature outlook. I think we have to find beauty in all seasons, since we’re stuck with them anyway.

5. Beauty in words. Wonderful, with a hint of nostalgia

6. Eerie with fog in late autumn like horror movie 🙂

7. Maremma Gee says:

For whatever reason when I saw the photo I thought of Notre-Dame Cathedral…

8. fatmilton says:

Hi Mitch.
    As a new “blogger” and unaccomplished writer, I am trying to find examples of good writing. Not that I would even know what “good writing” is if it fell on me, but I really liked what you wrote and how you wrote it. Would you do me the honor of visiting my fledgling blog-that’s-supposed-to-become-a-book and give me an honest opinion…perhaps some advice? (It’s almost X-mas..remember…lol)
    Looking forward to drop by for a “cuppa texta” every so often, if that’s ok by you.
    Regards
    The Fat Milton Story

9. mitchteemley says:

Happy to meet you, Milton. And, yes, I’ll visit your blog right now. Merry Merry!

• fatmilton says:

Hi Mitch
      Thank you for the visit to my blog and the (undeservedly so) kind praise. Being a glutton for exactly those kind of punishments (lol), I hope you find the time to do a drive-by-comment-shooting (G-rated rendition), every so often. By my current planning, it will take about 2 years to do the final product (a book?) so I will hopefully acquire my own inimitable copy of somebody’s writing style 😉
      May I wish you and your dearest a Most Happy and Harmonious X-Mas….and a New Year filled with amazing movie offers.
      Kindest regards
      The Fat Milton Story

10. r_prab says:

I was coming back from work at night.Had no public transport to board.It was late night and I had to walk on the 2 miles long desolate stretch of road, lined with trees,with nothing but the silence,the fog, and the cold wind;amidst the sudden tumults of some heavy trucks passing by,which whirled dry leaves and dust as they passed..The lines of this poem abruptly came in my mind.I smiled and said to myself-barren beauty…yea..but Christmas is coming..

Rest part of my journey I kept thinking about poems on winters and Christmas.