Put the X Back in Xmas!

manger_cross

People often assume that the term “Xmas” is an attempt to take “Christ” out of Christmas. But did you know that:

• The term Xmas dates all the way back to the Middle Ages.

• X is an abbreviation for Christ (it’s the first letter of Christos, Χριστός in the Greek).

• X is the traditional symbol of the cross.

• By using Xmas instead of Christmas, theologians were reminding us not just that God’s son came to earth, but why.

• Hence the term reviled by so many for taking Christ out of Christmas was originally intended to keep him in it!

P.S. Ministers were historically referred to as churchmen, or simply Xmen! (No, they don’t have superpowers. But God does. I mean, like, there was this one time when… Oh, just read the book.)

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Put the X Back in Xmas!

1. I like to keep Christ in every day and people sure do get tangled up over words…

2. jacobemet says:

Ha! Excellent post, Mitch. Very insightful.
    God always has a way of shining His glory into our lives. 😉
    He’s much too big for us to quench that.

3. VocareMentor says:

Very good post! Thank you. And I really like your added note that “Ministers were historically referred to as . . . Xmen.”

4. Kelly Anne Liberto says:

Maybe it stands for the original ‘x man’ 😊

5. Julia says:

So awesome to know this!

6. alslaff says:

Appreciate your reminder and insight. I read the book! Like you, I know how it ends. We win.

7. Thanks Mitch! I was one of those who have never liked the “X” – until now.🎄

8. loreguardian says:

God has a sense of humor over time; Xmen (the comic) was originally Xmen = churchmen! (God must like long jokes!)

9. Squid says:

Reblogged this on Squid's Cup of Tea and commented:
    This is so cool! Happy Xmas everyone!

Squid

10. dawnlizjones says:

Good to know! Amazing how our ignorance causes us to miss what God has for our good!! so typical.

11. Thank you Mitch for the definition. Last week, family and friends often told me “Xmas”.

12. This is a great point! The more the secular culture tries to divorce itself from its Christians roots the more it find itself affirming its own Christian roots, albeit only accidentally!

13. sheppaja says:

Love learning new things. Thanks for sharing this bit of knowledge.
    P.S. love the bit about Xmen

14. amommasview says:

Ha! And now I feel as if I stole my Did You Know post from you… funny how we wanted to share the same fact, although days apart. I really didn’t see this post before you mentioned it in the comment to mine. Awesome!

15. Pingback: My Picks Of The Week #52 | A Momma's View