California Shootings

la-2421846-me-nighclub-shooting02-ik-jpg-20150304

Shooters killed 14 people (and wounded 21) in San Bernardino, California, just minutes from where I used to live and work, and where I still have friends. I’ve been trying to process this latest outrage ever since it broke on the evening news.

Two thoughts:

The killers were radicalized Muslims. Whether they had ties to the Islamic State or an affiliate terrorist group is not known, but multiple such “small” attacks are part of ISIL’s master plan. Deluded despots (Adolf Hitler, Osama bin Laden, and now apparently Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi) often come to believe they can draw the world into war with them, and win.  They won’t.

Instead…

Teresa Hernandez, facing camera, is comforted by a woman as she arrives at a social services center in San Bernardino, Calif., where one or more gunmen opened fire, shooting multiple people on Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2015. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)God, the anti-tyrant, will use this tragedy to draw others into peace with Him.

Physical death is not the ultimate evil. Spiritual death is. I’m praying for those affected (including the families of the shooters) that God — not the false god of hate spewing puppets, but the true God, “the God of all comfort” (2 Corinthians 1:3-4) — will enfold them in His love and grant them a glimpse of a future that holds no pain and knows no end.

One that no shooter can ever alter.

“O death, where is your sting?  O grave, where is your victory?”

~1 Corinthians 15:55

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to California Shootings

1. karenlts25 says:

From an eternal perspective…As the Body of Christ we mourn with those who mourn.
    God our trust & hope even when questions remain unanswered. Thanks for your post.

2. erik buys says:

I’m praying with you, Mitch.

3. God bless and keep you, Mitch. Thank you for your positive approach in the face of such devastating negativity. There seems to be no end to the escalating violence. I’m praying those who continue to put their hope in violence to solve these issues (on all sides) will finally, have their fill of innocent blood and just stop.

4. Erika Kind says:

We need to include those people in our prayers to make them see that God is only love… only love! I hope all your friends are OK, Mitch!

5. Hannah B. says:

Mitch…. I really appreciate that you have a good, Christian blog and that you are so supportive and encouraging to others, including myself. Blogs like this are hard to find…. Thank you for being a great example and sharing the love of Christ on here. 🙂

6. “O death, where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory?”

1 Corinthians 15:55

Says it all!!!

It is important not to be afraid and call evil for what it is evil!

7. Your blog is a good place to come during times like these, Mitch. Thank you.

8. kdkunoff says:

This is exactly right…couldn’t
    have said it better myself.

9. theancients says:

“Physical death is not the ultimate evil. Spiritual death is.”

A brilliantly spoken truth, I hope will become a common knowledge.

10. dawnlizjones says:

Oh, Mitch! A thousand amens to this prayer.

11. Well said … and I say, “Amen, brother!”

12. Malaika says:

Very touching post Mitch. I saw this sad story on the news and I cannot imagine the grief those affected are going through. I agree with you that spiritual death is the ultimate evil. I cannot imagine anything worse than permanent separation from God. Thanks for sharing.

13. Pingback: California Shootings | Do Everything In Love…

14. PMcG says:

Nicely stated. I liked “God the anti-tyrant.” Keep rolling.
    Pat