Is Halloween Evil?

258083_4617672800673_1268860799_o

Is Halloween evil?

No. We are

Evil lives in people, not in things (Romans 3:23). People are, to use the classical term, sinful. But it’s more pleasant (and less convicting) to focus on things. Many point to the pagan traditions behind Christmas and Easter, or that unholiest of holidays, Halloween!

As a zealous new believer back in the 80s (typical of a converted atheist), I once stood on a coffee table, tears streaming from my eyes, and rebuked a church youth group for participating in a popular church-sponsored haunted house!

I haven’t just mellowed since then—I’ve read my Bible. The apostle Paul tells us that things are just things (I Corinthians 8:4-13), and that it’s the evil within us that needs to be confronted.

A few years after scaring the bejeebers out of those poor perky teenagers,
I was in a comedy act called Mitch & Allen.  One of our more popular pieces was a goofyBlob-Town-The-Blob-1958-Documentary-@-Phoenixville-Pennsylvania-by-James-Rolfe Bible-based take on the ultimate alien invasion story, the Fall of Adam and Eve!

We’d been watching The Blob, a classic monster movie from the 1950s, when it struck us that this was exactly how sin entered the world. First, evil (sin) consumed a couple of naïve-but-good-looking teenagers, and then it spread—like a hideous blob!

OK, you can watch the video now (from Mitch & Allen Live, 1983).  Just don’t overdo it on the popcorn!

“Two innocent teenagers,” the narrator tells us, are overcome by “a horror so hideous, so corruptible it will change their lives forever–It Came From Outer Darkness!” (Matthew 22:13)

“Isn’t it great to live in a place where we’re so protected and provided for?” teenager Adam Godson asks. (Genesis 2) But just then a “falling star” (Isaiah 14:12) is “cast out of its place in the heavens” (Revelation 12:9) and crashes down “somewhere east of Eden County, New Mexico.” (Genesis 4:16)

Adam and his girlfriend Eve Ribstein (played by a remarkably unattractive Hollywood starlet) are overcome by the creature “from the planet Sin.” Soon it is consuming everything that comes near it. “No one is safe!” (Romans 7:14-15)

The situation is hopeless (Romans 3:10-12) until one day, “earth’s last hope,” the Stranger shows up, announcing, “I can take that monster to hell and be back in three days!” (Matthew 12:40)

It’s a creature “so real,” the narrator shouts, “you’d swear it was right there in the theater with you! Well, it is!”

Only this horror thriller is true–and we are the monster! (Romans 3:9-10)

So, is Halloween evil? No, we are.

“All creation groans,” Romans 8:22 says, waiting for the evil in us to be taken away. And if we let the Stranger, “the earth’s last hope,” do his job, it will be. (I John 1:6-7)

I once toured Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris and was astonished to see gargoyles (demons) all along the spectacular roofline. When I asked why they would include such icons of evil, the translator said,

“Ho-ho! We do not embrace evil, monsieur, we mock it! You see, the demons are racing away!” (Each gargoyle is countered by an angel directly inside.) “And,” he added, “we humble them by making them serve as water spouts!”

Gargoyles-at-Notre-DameNow that is the Halloween spirit!

So if you celebrate Halloween, don’t celebrate evil, celebrate the overcoming of it. You might even want to practice saying (with a thick French accent),

“Ho-ho! I do not embrace evil. I mock it!”

If you would like to own a copy of this video, you can download it here!

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir, Religion/Faith, Videos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Is Halloween Evil?

1. This is so GREAT, Mitch… I’m going to share this video with my grandkids (teens) on Saturday, along with what you have written. What a great way to explain to them! We are in the world (and there’s only one way out of that) but we are not of the world. We dress up, give out candy… all the while asking Jesus to shine His love and light through us… and as the world gets darker, we hope to shine brighter. Please pray with me that our neighbors (not ‘yet’ believers) will come over too… and see your video! 🙂 Blessings!!!

2. nancyehead says:

The celebration is what parents make it. For my crew, it was, and still is, a family time, a time to dress up and use your imagination! Magical–and all good if you make it so.

3. lynettedavis says:

The Blob was one of my favorite movies growing up!

4. dawnlizjones says:

Now for the confession…those were the shirts I picked out for our wedding, only in peach. And it wasn’t even Halloween!

5. M says:

My adult Sunday school class was discussing the Christian way of handling Halloween, and I shared the post with them. Love how you tied in scripture verses to make the points stronger, especially that evil is in us, not things. Thanks!

6. tabitha59reachingout says:

Very cool to learn about the reason those ugly gargoyles were placed on the cathedrals. Thanks for enlightening me. 🙂

7. Pingback: Historyween | Mitch Teemley

8. I realize this has nothing to do with your post, I’m just unabashedly using it as an opportunity to share some interesting information 🙂 I really like the “on this day in history” post regarding Halloween (which is how I got here. And reading some of the comments regarding how Christians should handle Halloween…)

Halloween–“Hallows eve” is the Vigil the feast of All Saints in the Catholic Church, thus the name “Halloween.” (every evening preceding a feast day is a “hallow eve”–for example Christmas Eve is just as much a hallows eve as Halloween)

The assertion that Halloween was originally the pagan holiday “Sam Hain” in order to convert pagans in a myth. All Saints feast day was originally established by Pope Boniface IV in the year 609 and originally fell in May (so this disinformation that Halloween was originally some pagan harvest holiday is a myth).

The holiday was later moved to November 1st by Pope Gregory III in the 1700s (and Europe was already Christianized by this time, not to mentioned the Protestant protest had already come and gone by generations; and while I don’t know the specifics, it was and is common for some Protestant denonmiations to demonize Catholic feasts and the Church and much of this in the US has come down to us through English roots without any memory or knowledge—& this pertains to both Protestant Americans AND Catholic Americans..)

The purpose of All Saints Feast day is to honor all our brothers and sisters who have gone before us in martyrdom, as there were more martyrs than days in the year.

(And for those who may ask why we Catholics have all these “silly” feast days for “saints”–my answer is this: do you celebrate your birthday every year? Do you celebrate your children’s birthdays every year? Friends? Does your brightest detract from the Glory of God or highlight it?–if you answer is anything other than it highlights the glory of God I shall challenge you–for your existence comes from God, He made you, and molded you in the palm of His hands and knit you in your mother’s womb–and has further declared, that through Jesus Christ, the son of the Father who is the king of the universe, that you are not mere human but His own child who will inherit the Kigndom–brother’s and sisters, you are princesses and princes not by your own merit by the Goodness of God. Should then not your day of birth be sacred and holy? For it was the day the Lord determined you should enter this world and transform by your beautiful existence… likewise, of our brothers and sisters who have attained the priceless pearl, who sit before the throne of God and the lamb calling out “holy, holy, holy”–brothers and sisters who followed Christ, picked up their cross and followed him into crucifixion, stoning, hot oil, gunshot, and incinerators. The Lord tells us their honor will be great in Heaven–if the Lord tells us his faithful will be celebrated in heaven, by what logic then should we not also? Unless the Lord is a liar… secondly, we ask each other so often to pray for each other. I gladly pray for all, but always clarify–I can give my two cents, but still living in sinfulness, yet perfected, yet holy. And certainly not in the presence of the Lord, I have friends whose prayer is much more effective, for they ARE before the Lord God Himself crying out Holy Holy Holy. If He hears our prayers, how much more does He hear the requests and petitions of His most honored).

Forgive my long tangent, but I felt it necessary, since mentioning All Saints feast day (without which there would be no Halloween) to give an honest and true explanation of the holiday (and the crazy business with Saints). It is my experience that 90% of the information people have about topics such as Halloween, and other holidays, traditions related to the Church, is propagdist or just plain myth and misinformation. (Sadly many of these are Catholics themselves), which is painful. (Imagine random strangers coming up to you and telling you all sorts of absurd stories and mean even evil things about about your parents and siblings, would you not also come to their defense?)

Of course in the last couple of centuries Halloween transformed into the candy collecting, pumpkin carving, costume weari ghoulish day that it is. And it’s fun! Pumpkins and make believe! What could be better than that! 🙂

Thank you for your patience 🙂 Happy Halloween!

9. Taisen says:

I’m going to have to be the party pooper here and say that Halloween is Evil. Yes, Halloween IS Evil, and Mitch, you know it is, and should not celebrate it as well. You yourself rebuked a church youth group back in the 80s for participating in a popular church-sponsored haunted house because it’s evil, so how can you now say that it is not after all of these years? Halloween is a pagan tradition, and pagan traditions are evil and not of the Lord your GOD. Do not be deceived, you love this pagan tradition too much to give it up and just be blinded to say and feel that it is good, when it isn’t at all whatsoever.

Even that picture that you have up there of that bunny shows the evil and darkness in it. The bunny looking at its reflection in the mirror, sees a dark and evil bunny with red eyes and scary teeth, while there is also bible and the rosary (I assume) next to the candle. And why would those people at the Notre Dame Cathedral even create those statues of demons or gargoyles to mock it, when they should have nothing to do with evil in the first place and should stay away from it. Evil is nothing to play with, so for these people to create these things so they could mock them is not good at all, as that is evil within itself.

And the apostle Paul did not say that things are things, he said that idols are not real or have no real existence, and that all things are made by God and Jesus Christ, and they are made for God and Jesus Christ, and through God and Jesus Christ they exist.

So, not to sound rude or harsh or anything, but the same way that you rebuked the church, I have to rebuke you from participating in this pagan tradition as well. Halloween is evil, and you should not celebrate it. Don’t embrace darkness, embrace the light. Don’t delight in evil, but rejoice in the truth. And Mitch, I leave you with this article about the dark side of Halloween by Michael Snyder below:

And these scriptures as well, God bless:

Deuteronomy 18:9-13:
    9 When you enter into the land which the Lord your God gives you, you must not learn to practice the abominations of those nations. 10 There must not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or who uses divination, or uses witchcraft, or an interpreter of omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who casts spells, or a spiritualist, or an occultist, or a necromancer. 12 For all that do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God will drive them out from before you. 13 You must be blameless before the Lord your God.

Ephesians 6:11-20:
    The Armor of God
    …11Put on the full armor of God, so that you can make your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this world’s darkness, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore take up the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you will be able to stand your ground, and having done everything, to stand your ground, and having done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth fastened around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness arrayed, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness of the gospel of peace.16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18Pray in the Spirit at all times, with every kind of prayer and petition. To this end, stay alert with all perseverance in your prayers for all the saints. 19Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, divine utterance may be given me, so that I will boldly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it fearlessly, as I should.

• mitchteemley says:

Hey, Taisen, I suspect we’re not going to change each other’s minds by writing replies back and forth here. But I did just wanted to briefly address your thesis that I “love this pagan tradition too much to give it up.” I have no interest Halloween, whatsoever, neither the pagan festival that many, but not all (see the nun Sr. Benedict’s comment above) believe it came from, nor the modern dress-up-and-grab-candy event it’s become. My interest in Halloween faded with my interest in trick-or-treating–about 50 years ago. I am interested, however, in drawing people into a relationship with their Creator–which was the intention of the above blog post. Blessings, Mitch

10. Pingback: My Epic of Anxiety | Mitch Teemley