Our True Colors?

tumblr_static_autumn_leaves_on_road-2560x1600

I love to see the leaves change color in autumn, don’t you?

Except that it’s a myth. Leaves don’t change color.

My wife and I often walk in the woods. We’re blessed to live near Mount Airy Forest in Cincinnati, the oldest “urban forest” in the U.S., and what we’ve learned (as transplants from Southern California) is that those shimmery yellows, oranger-than-a-pumpkin oranges, and sunset reds are actually the leaves’ true colors.

And, oh, how beautiful they make the world!

All that green?  It’s just a cheery chlorophyll veneer. But when the cold “snaps,” the chlorophyll rushes down to hide amongst the roots, and the leaves’ true colors become visible. It’s then that we see how beautiful—and unique—each leaf truly is. Though, sadly, some are burnt by the sun, or turn bitter-brittle when the chlorophyll abandons them.

I pray that as we reach the apex, the autumn of our lives, each of us will reveal our true colors, so deeply and so fully, that others will breathlessly exclaim,

“Oh, how beautiful they’ve made the world!”

autumn-leaves-light-wallpaper

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Memoir, Mitchellaneous and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Our True Colors?

1. Yu/stan/kema says:

Very nicely written, Mitch.

2. Beautiful colors indeed!

3. Fresh and crisp Autumn air ! 🙂

4. A profound thought. Well done.

5. Beautiful thought expressed in beautiful imagery. I hope that as I age and fade that more of Jesus living in me is revealed. I want to be remembered as a joyful Christian lady and not as a bitter old woman. Jesus gives reason to every season.

6. frenchc1955 says:

Thanks for a beautiful post, including the pics. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and I love the vibrant colors.

7. Lucie says:

Cool! I never knew! I miss the “changing colors of Fall”…..we are having a “yucky Fall” this year…more than likely the effects of the draught…Oh well, guess I’ll hafta enjoy your pics and my Saranac Lake, NY friend’s pictures….. Autumn, like a number of your followers, is my all time favorite time of year. Looking forward to cooler weather and (hopefully!) some rain!!! 🙂 PS I am still asking around about your LinkedIn question, but most of my connections here use the site differently(i.e for job search)…..any way, I’ll keep asking….some day, maybe someone will know!! 🙂

8. Beautifully written sentiment, Mitch. May it become so.

9. knabbler says:

Loved this post, and I never knew!

10. Autumn is such a beautiful season!

11. tczumwalt says:

Beautifully said. 🙂

12. Hi Mitch…have really enjoyed reading your blog! Thankful I found you. I would love to share this post (and provide a link to your site) on my blog about fall that I am composing for tomorrow. Please let me know if you are okay with this!

13. So profound! Thanks!! Loved it

14. Reblogged this on Under the Guise of Glitter and commented:
    I really liked this, maybe it was the lack of going outside or my love of autumn. Maybe it is honestly just because this song was dedicated to me by my best friend. Either way…it’s really god!

15. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

“Autumn is a second spring, when every leaf is a flower.” ~Albert Camus

16. I’ve grown up in Calif. but i’n my travels around the U.S. staying in each city for a number of months, my three or four times in Ohio are my favorite memories. I took advantage of the wonderful state parks around Columbus and Akron and enjoyed that profusion of trees in their ‘chlorophyl’ state. While there, I made up a little aphorism: “Ohio is a state made by human beings for human beings.” There is something indefinable with the attitude of most people in Ohio…it’s a casual, honest friendliness. Even state officials I dealt with exhibit this. I’ve got to add Columbus to my “Travels” poem . https://vernonmileskerr.com/2016/08/31/poetry-travels/

17. Lucie says:

Loved it even more the second “go-round”…..profound….

18. rayneq04 says:

Autumn is such a beautiful season. all the colors indeed :))

19. edebock says:

What a lovely thought!

20. Yu/stan/kema says:

Great post, Mitch!

21. Now I know! I love autumn and the way you crafted this piece! Just awesome!