Life with a Purpose

purposeConnecting With God, Part 8
(To read Part 1, click here)

Purpose. No amount of Freudian psychoanalysis can explain away the need for it. Unless we succeed in drowning it out, all of our lives we will hear that still, small voice calling us not merely to live, but to live for a reason. For something more than a paid-off mortgage and a pre-purchased cemetery plot. Maybe that’s why Rick Warren’s The Purpose-Driven Life is one of best selling books in history.

In Connecting with God, Part 7  I spoke about renewing my sense of purpose by building the house of my life on the foundation of God’s word. As I assembled My Verses and settled into memorizing, praying, and meditating upon them each day, these 007FourWallsfour verses have become the walls of my house, my personal mission statement:

“The God of your fathers (your spiritual predecessors) chose you to know his will, to see his Righteous One, and to hear his own voice. And now you will be his witness to all of what you have seen (the life-changing experiences that led you to where you are now) and hear (his ongoing communication with you) (Acts 22:14-15).

“(Now, go!) Set free the oppressed and break every yoke (of bondage to sin and lies). (Isaiah 58:6).

“Be a model to believers (as well) in word and in deed, in love, faith, and purity. Attend to the reading (of Scripture), to exhortation (be a catalyst), and to teaching. Don’t neglect the spiritual gift (the unique purpose and equipage) that is in you. Live it. Be that person so (much) that your progress is apparent to all! Attend to yourself and to your teaching. Persist in these things, for by so doing you will not only save yourself (by living out the life and purpose he has given you), but your hearers, as well! (I Timothy 4:12-16). images-1

“(Finally) Write down (what you have seen and heard) for the coming generation, so that those not yet born will praise him!” (Psalm 102:18) One of my most gratifying experiences has been hearing from people I helped steer toward a life of faith years earlier. But even more exciting has been hearing from the next generation. Recently, a teenager I’ve never met competed in a series of speech competitions with a Star Wars parody (“Soul Wars”) that I wrote almost two decades before he was born!

I finish praying My Verses every morning with three passages that form the roof of my house:

A promise of fruitfulness, from the life of noble King Hezekiah: “In everything he undertook he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly…and so he prospered.” (I Chronicles 31:20-21)

A reminder to stay focused: “Seek first the kingdom of God (his restored reign over this lost, broken world) and his righteousness (everything ‘reset’ to its true, original purpose), and all these things (other needs) will be given to you as well (not as an
afterthought, but because they, too, are a part of God’s plan).” (Matthew 6:33)
Dream-Cottages-for-Your-Holiday-Inspiration-homesthetics-5

And finally, the Lord’s Prayer/Our Father, along with prayers for others. For over two years now I’ve been enlarging the “house” of my life by building it upon the rock of his Word.

If your sense of purpose needs rebuilding, may I encourage you to do the same?

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Life with a Purpose

1. Kelly Anne Liberto says:

Yes, thank you for the encouragement Mitch!

2. Bette Cox says:

“(Finally) Write down (what you have seen and heard) for the coming generation, so that those not yet born will praise him!” (Acts 102:18) – should be Psalms 102:18, Mitch. It’s a great post, one I’d like to share on FB, if you’ll be kind and correct it. Thanks!

3. This is a great model for building and I guess maintaining our relationship with God.

4. DeniseBalog says:

Mitch your post is awesome! My family and I pray and believe on building our home on the Rock, according to Jesus Words in Scripture. And when we lay our heads down at night we cover our house and our sleep in His blood, but have never given serious thought to the “walls”:) I have anointed the windows when the strong winds have blown, but your visual is perfect!! Yes, love your post and solid foundation for Life!! Blessings, d

5. mnhalver says:

A blessing to have read this, thank you so much for sharing!!

I love the way you’ve woven scripture from a number of books in the Bible to create your mission-statement house on the Rock. So inspiring, Mitch!

7. Hi, Mitch. Thank you for your visits to read the posts on the Feast of Tabernacles. I need to catch up on my reading of your site and others on WordPress. I was especially moved by this one. It seems that I need this reminder periodically in this season of my life. Thank you for your timely encouragement and exhortation for such a time as this. Matthew 24.45-46….

8. Such a great idea and way to stay focused. Your post definitely encouraged me to do the same. Thanks!

9. Pingback: A New Foundation for Your Life | Mitch Teemley

10. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

“The purpose of your life did not begin with you, and it will not end with you.” ~The Wishing Map

11. Roos Ruse says:

Your blueprints of your construction site impresses me, Mitch. You put your unmistakable mission and your meaning out there in your easy, non-preachy (technical term) style that most anyone can relate to. I’d emulate your plan – but I gotta be me… Another great post, Mitch!

12. Pingback: Spring playing hide and seek | From guestwriters