Incomplete

seeing-the-light

Here’s the paradox in Jesus’ teaching

What I want I must give

The next part is even harder

I don’t have it to give

So what must I do?

I must let him invade me

must let him live in me

in order to give

what I do not have to give

Only then will I discover

that he has given me

all I need

and I have become

something I never was before

complete

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Poetry, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Incomplete

1. Erika Kind says:

Wow, that was very insightful, Mitch!

2. Kelly Anne Liberto says:

Needed this today- thank you

3. i just shared this with my atheist friend.
    i’m praying God will use your words to make him think….and to work in his heart.
    i so appreciate you, Mitch.

4. cityhermit2015 says:

Indeed a paradox! And so true!

5. theancients says:

Great revelation realities!
    …we are only complete in Him.

You’ve got me thinking: 1. Striving for what we want on our own leads to selfishness. And contrary to popular belief, obtaining our earthly desires does not lead to happiness. 2. Common “wisdom” would tell us to be independent and self-sufficient. God’s wisdom tells us to let Him live in and through us–be dependent on him for decisions and choices. 3. People say, “Take care of Number One”; God tells us to care for others. Such opposite advice! How do we choose? You’ve given us the answer, Mitch, in your one-word conclusion: Complete. Selfishness, self-sufficiency, and self-centeredness do not lead to a sense of wholeness, fullness, lacking in nothing. Anyone who tries that route eventually finds out it’s true. But! Completeness is EXACTLY what God brings to our lives! And again, anyone who’s given God a chance to work in their lives knows THAT’s the truth. Thank you for such a thought-provoking poem, Mitch. Concise, but loaded with thought-starters–as you can see!

• mitchteemley says:

The Greek word teleos (finished, whole, complete–and, by inference, “unbroken” or “fully redeemed”) comes up again and again in the Bible. It’s in Jesus words on the cross, “It is finished” (teleos). In the phrase, “Be perfect (teleos) as your Father in Heaven is perfect.” It’s God’s goal for us, so it must be a pretty important!

7. canadaslim says:

I am no expert on Christianity, Mitch, ol’ boy, but I daresay you do seem to live up to the model of what a decent Christian should be. Though I may not necessarily share your enthusiasm and passion for your faith, you most definitely have my fullest respect for it. Keep the fires burning, Mitch!