Happy Independence Day!

“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”    ~Alexis de Tocqueville

“Set free the oppressed and break every yoke!”   ~Isaiah 58:6

I invite you to enjoy this video I made last year, dear friends! (Click on image to view)

Happy 4th!

My Dec-Thumb2

A few more thoughts on the subject: My Declaration

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Videos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Happy Independence Day!

1. Our Constitution acknowledges our common equality before God and the fact that everyone is born with certain rights; other forms of government view rights as being bestowed by the government, at their discretion. Under such forms of government, equality is earned by meeting certain criteria and the governing class enjoys more equality, freedom, and privilege than anyone else.
    The questions on my mind this morning, “Are we still free?” and “Am I enjoying the same freedom that I experienced the year before?” I have to say no to the second and the answer to the first is that freedom seems to be fading.
    Thank you, Mitch for posting the kind of things that make people think.

2. Pingback: Mitch Teemley

3. claire says:

Interesting and some good points. I think you’re wrong about socialism being the “big baddie” however, that’s not surprising as US propaganda is very strong on this. Socialism actually has a strong Biblical foundation, (Acts 2 :44 – 45) “All that believed were together and had all things common.” etc. The problem is however as with communism for example one set of rulers tend to be taken over by another regardless of the form of government.
    I’ve read some early American literature etc. and it helped me understand some of the original feeling of wanting to be free of kings and tyrants etc. In the end though it all comes full circle the tyrants just take a different form. Huge corporations, and the financial elite pull the strings of American democracy (as they probably do in most countries) freedom is an illusion.

• mitchteemley says:

Actually the quote is from 19th French historian Alexis de Tocqueville. But I get your meaning, Claire. Humans are fallen, indeed, and bent on selfish motives. As far as government forms go, however, I think the American experiment is quite extraordinary in both its underlying principals and its check-and-balance system. Perfect? Far from it. But less naive, I think, than most socialistic systems. I’m a big fan of Christian communalism, on the other hand (which you referenced above), but find it only works on 1) the local scale, and 2) when involvement is entirely voluntary–based on a shared faith. Have a great weekend!

• claire says:

totally agree! (” it only works on 1) the local scale, and 2) when involvement is entirely voluntary–based on a shared faith.”) My thoughts exactly. With the purest of motives it wont work via politics (and political motives are rarely pure) I do have hopes for the true Millennium when Jesus will be in charge though! Have a good Sunday!

4. Erika Kind says:

Happy 4th of July, Mitch!

5. I enjoyed Claire and your comments, but… The verse Claire quoted from Acts is far from socialism; socialism is government imposed, the example from Acts was completely voluntary. The money and property they divided equally was what they had left after paying high taxes to an oppressive government.

6. Mike says:

Awesome post! Great for independence day and all of those seemingly in opposition of its meaning. Plz follow 🙋 check out my site…

7. lire ici says:

Ce qui est presque le double .

8. Continuer says: