My Father’s Apple Trees

Dad & Marines(See video below)

My dad (lower right hand corner) was a compact kid whose four big sisters called him “Wee Willy.” But he was a scrapper. Bigger and tougher inside than out.

At 15, he forged his parent’s signature and joined the Marines, never finishing 10th grade, so he could whoop Hitler’s ass. Or Tojo’s. Or whoever’s ass needed whooping.  Instead, fresh out of boot camp, he explained carefully to a bluto of a sailor why the Marines were superior to the Navy. And the sailor respectfully disagreed. With a beer bottle to Dad’s jawbone.

Dad spent the next three months in a military hospital. With his jaw wired shut. Sucking chocolate malts through a straw. During which time both Germany and Japan surrendered.

But Dad never lost his love for chocolate malts.

Or my mom.

And then I came along.

Dad loved us with a fierceness that would’ve made Hitler and Tojo tremble. And he would’ve whooped their asses if they’d tried to hurt us.

By the time I was 5, I realized this. And so I wanted to give him a gift. Just from me.

I’ve told this story for years because I think it makes a terrific metaphor for the “What do you give God?” question. But before it was a metaphor it was simply a true story. About my dad. So some years back, while on staff at a church in Cincinnati, Ohio, I made this little video as a belated gift to my father, because, well…

I love you, Dad.

Click on this image to WATCH the video:

8083ab71_medium

Drama groups, My Father’s Apple Trees is also a available as monologue.

Click here to download the script!

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Story Power, Videos and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to My Father’s Apple Trees

1. barbara says:

LUCKY YOU.JUST IMAGINE HOW MADE KIDS DON,T EVEN KNOW WHO THEIR DAD IS THESE DAYS AND ARE BEING RAISED WITHOUT A MALE FIGURE TO LOVE AND GUIDE THEM.I ALSO
    HAD A DAD IN MY LIFE WHO CARED[I GUESS I CAN SAY LUCKY ME TOO]

SO well done, Mitch. Thank you for the poignant reminder that it’s the HEART of the giver that Dad (and our Heavenly Father) appreciates!

3. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

In Memoriam: Happy Father’s Day, Dad!

4. GP Cox says:

It’s an honor to given a peek into your dad’s life.

5. Canuck Carl says:

WOW, the story of your father is truly amazing. My dad died suddenly of a massive heart attack when I was 15. I do miss him each Father’s Day, and the fact that my children never got to have a truly wonderful grandfather. But I am truly grateful for those 15 years. When my dad was 15 or maybe 16, he did not make it overseas. He war effort was to go out to the Canadian Prairies and help in the grain harvest on farms whose sons were overseas fighting.
    Thank you for stopping by my church blog (My Sunday Blog). The blog doesn’t get much traffic, so it is always pretty cool and encouraging when some person randomly likes a post just like you did. 🙂

6. Brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful tribute and video.

7. What a lovely message! Thank you for sharing it.