I Hate to Wait!

(Video below)

Skeleton at windowWhen Abraham was 75, God promised to give him a child. Twenty-five years later, when Abe was 100 years old, Isaac was born.

Gee, why the rush, Lord?

Hey, to God 1,000 years is like a day (2 Peter 3:8), so for him 25 years is no more than a longish lunch break: “Oops, gotta go, Gabriel, I promised Abe a baby.”

Foom! Cue baby!

And yet Abraham “never wavered in trusting the promise of God.” (Romans 4:20-22)  I completely understand this because I am an Abraham-like model of godly patience.

Yeah, right.

But I have learned a few things about “waiting on the Lord” (Isaiah 40:31). I’ve learned that if we’re not careful we can miss what really matters while we’re waiting for what we think matters. During the years I strove to make it in the movie biz, facing disappointment Beth & Mandy-joyafter disappointment, my wife and I created (with significant help from God) two brilliant co-productions that have grown into amazing young women. They didn’t help my movie career a smidge, but fathering them has been one of the great privileges of my life!

I’ve also learned that God’s vision is always bigger—and better—than mine. During my years in Hollywood I never gained enough clout to make movies the way I wanted to make them. One project I was passionate about, a moving story of forgiveness and redemption, was set up as a TV movie for Fox. I was crushed when a network exec killed the deal. But the truth is, if it had been made I would have lost control over the project and it would have become a long-forgotten watered-down movie-of-the-week.

Instead, 12 years later (a mere burrito break for God) I was given funding by an indie production company to write and direct that film myself. We shot it last month and are now editing it!

So, yeah, I hate to wait (who doesn’t?). But waiting on God is unlike any other kind of waiting. It’s active, productive, life-changing waiting, a time to learn God’s character (Psalm 46:10). A time to prepare our hearts for the task ahead (Psalm 27:14). And a time for God himself to equip us for that task!

⇔ ⇔ ⇔

A few years back, I wrote a short script called Wait!  If you’d like to read it or perform it, click here.  I also made a short, satirical VIDEO version.

To watch it now, click here:

Wait_thumb

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Movies, Videos and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to I Hate to Wait!

1. Erika Kind says:

That’s a wonderful post, Mitch. Everything will happen at just the right time with just the right persons. Wonderful examples and explanations.
    Still working on patience… God give me patience… NOW!!!

2. Sammy says:

Great post and analogy. Nothing better than being able to relate God’s word with our own lives. It brings it to life. All God’s best in your new venture. I’m sure the wait will be worth it. Although 12 to God is nothing but to us its 12 years. I bet Abraham while waiting those 25 years was kicking cans or cart tires. Ha.

3. Sammy says:

Hi again Mitch. Just watched both versions of Wait. Clever and well presented. I have to add my two cents (I can do that because I’m older than you 🙂

I was left wondering what he was waiting for. If the message and film is just about waiting on God then something is missing, I would put a teaser of what he wanted and why he had to wait for it like one of those bubbles above his head when he was running for the bus or at the end when he prayed.

I understand that each of us have our own things we need for God to work out in our lives and we can relate to that but the story is about the bearded man who seems awkward and untogether, can’t pay his bills or buy new socks or care for himself. Was he waiting for a woman in his life?

Anyway, sometimes I wish that my comments will self destruct after being read or you could just hit the delete button.

KGFG my friend.

4. Kelly Anne Liberto says:

I love this post for so many reasons~ Right now, the “waiting” has gotten so old.. And the Abraham story is one of my all time favorites. Why wouldn’t Sarah laugh? Plus, how cool is it that your waiting is over!!! 😀 Gives me hope.

5. Inspiring! This gives mo hope. To God, nothing is too late, too early… He is always on right timing.
    Thank you very much for the inspiration! 🙂

Another GREAT post, Mitch–great because your writing style is such fun to read, your topic is SO relevant, the truths you shared hit home in my spirit, and your own story of waiting has come to such a satisfying, delightful conclusion. I agree with Kelly (above): Your happy ending, after a long wait, gives me hope!

7. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

If we’re not careful we can miss what really matters while we’re waiting for what we think matters.

8. Awesome Mitch… You have such a gift for infusing great humor with absolute truth! He makes all things beautiful in His time… You, your wife, your girls… Your dreams! 😊👍🏻😊👆🏻😊👏🏻😊

9. Andreea Gutu says:

Great post! I could use a little patience myself!…..

10. ken riddles says:

Great thing about waiting is there is always renewed strength… Good post – Blessings