Monogamy Is Not Natural!

mm8_monopolybig

“Friends say to me a lot, ‘Monogamy is not natural.’  And I always, say, ‘Well, neither are toilets, but when you don’t use them, things get very messy.’” ~Andrew Gurland (creator of the TV series Married)

My wife and I are known for having a strong marriage. And it’s true, we do. But what’s not true is that things “just worked out” (our wedding counselor advised us not to marry because of our differences), or that we simply “got lucky” and found our soulmate and so don’t have to work at it. Hah!

There are three persons in this relationship. And our marriage works because we are both doggedly devoted to that third person: Us.

It’s true, monogamy is not natural.

It’s supernatural.

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Monogamy Is Not Natural!

1. Erika Kind says:

Very good put! There are three persons! Great. Funny the statement of th counselor.

2. Ken Jones says:

Right on target Mitch!

3. Sammy says:

Well said Mitch. Good for you guys. My wife and I have been together almost 40 years and I am convinced that God has paid her to stay with me. I don’t know what he promised her but I won’t complain.

4. Lucie says:

Boy, ain’t THAT the truth!!!! Marriage is a full time job (plus part time in the evenings and weekends!) But I wouldn’t have it any other way! My life is soooo much better in a monogamous, dedicated relationship. There’s no way I wanna be “out there” unattached, as I age. I’m grounded in a relationship….but what do I know? I’m silly!!! 🙂

5. And that’s beautiful, Mitch! :O)

6. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

“There are three persons in this relationship!”