5 Year Old Exposes Truth About Barney!

Cute-newborn-baby-girls-clothesMy daughter Mandy was born smart. If she’d known English the day she was born, I’m sure she’d have explained to the obstetrician that he was doing it all wrong.

By the time she was 2 that oversight had been corrected. At a supermarket she asked, “Daddy, may I have a cherry popsicle, please?”

A harried looking shopper observed, gobsmacked, “That toddler just used a complete sentence!”

“Of course,” I said, “she knows a proper sentence needs a subject, object, and a verb.”

Duh.

Then Mandy asked the lady if she would like a hug.  Because, you see, my daughter wasn’t just smart, she was also deeply perceptive.

latestSo it came as no surprise that one day, at age 5, while she was dancing along with TV philosopher Barney the Dinosaur, she had a profound epiphany. She’d been singing an insipid self-esteem ditty with him that went,

“I’m special!  You’re special!  Everybody’s special!”

when she suddenly stopped mid-kick-ball-change and asked, “Daddy?”

“Yes, darling?”

“If everybody’s special, doesn’t that mean ‘special’ is just ordinary?”

She still loved the gentle purple dunder-lizard but always questioned his wisdom after that. (Personally, I suspect it takes more than a little fermented grape juice to remain that color day after day.)

chucke-cheese-large1One year later, we celebrated Mandy’s 6th birthday at Chuck E. Cheese’s. She’d just finished giving the big cheese a compassionate hug when she took me aside and announced, “He’s not real.”

“He’s not?”

“No, there’s someone inside.”

“Really?  Who?”

“Barney.”

The gig was up.  She’d figured out that, lacking any real depth as a sage, Barney had plummeted in the ratings and been forced to moonlight as a pizza-pushing rat.

That was when I knew my own days as a mentor were numbered.

This entry was posted in Humor, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to 5 Year Old Exposes Truth About Barney!

1. Heather says:

hehehe
    I love how kids think
    😀

Now I no longer need to wonder about the inspiration behind the despicably villainous line from The Incredibles

“When everyone’s super….no one is!”

Some writer must have had an insightful, Barney-exposed 5-year-old…

2. I can’t wait until I turn 5. Growing up backwards has its perks. I’m just jealous Mandy beat me to it. :O(

3. Gives one hope for this world doesn’t it?

4. Matilda Novak says:

This is excellent, Mitch! You should write a book based on the things your girls have said and done while growing up….Ps– Though i’ve not met Mandy, i Love her.

5. barbara says:

ONE THING FOR SURE,THAT GIRL IS SUPER SMART AND NO,EVERYONE IS,NT

6. Erika Kind says:

Haha… this is too cute!!!

7. Quixie says:

I love her! She reminds me so much of my daughter😊

8. Sammy says:

Well done Mandy, your father finally figured out who the boss in the family is. Ha.

9. Clearly your days as her mentor are kaput. What is her blog address, I would like to ask her about her theories on existentialism?

10. kaakins says:

Chuckie look so scry:)😊☺️😖

11. Lucie says:

Too cute, Mitch!! So, how old is your precious “little girl” today???? 🙂

12. Such an inviting style of writing, and how great to be gifted with the wisdom of a five-year-old mind! Thanks for reading and liking my blog posts…

13. renezmairude says:

It seems your daughter is smarter than 80% of adults. Adorable 🙂

14. joyful2bee says:

What a perceptive, ingenious and creative child she was. Bet you she is an amazing woman!

15. Eric T Knight says:

Excellent! Hilarious! Out of the mouths of babes…

16. Squidtea says:

Wow, your daughter is a genius! And I can see she has no trouble following Paul’s command to test everything! What a great post!
    Squid

17. Pingback: I Am Epically Awesome | Mitch Teemley

18. Pingback: Don’t Love Yourself! | Mitch Teemley

19. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

As we enter shooting day number four on our feature film, I’m re-running this favorite older post. Blessings till it hurts! ~Mitch

20. Wendy says:

Haha – out of the mouths of babes. Yes – I find that with my two granddaughters age 4 & 6 years – they never cease to amaze me! x

21. Ever since my boys were little I knew there was something about that gentle purple dunder-lizard, he wasn’t to be trusted and clearly Mandy has proven me right. Very wise indeed and so cute! 🙂

22. Hahaha….that was way too sweet—just like her photo. I enjoyed this; it made me think about my cousin’s first granddaughter. It was almost as if she was born to “know”. She walked and never crawled, she recognized other children and wanted to babble and play with them before she could even go to a preschool, it was fascinating to witness those things. Thank you for sharing!!

23. Roos Ruse says:

Once again you’ve evoked many happy memories of my own, Mitch. Great post!

Nothing better to bring some sunshine to a bleak, overcast day than some child humor. However, I must say that your additional comments, Dad, were worthy additions–like the bit about Barney reduced to a pizza-pushing rat! 🙂