Why I Believe: C.S. Lewis and Me – Part Three

surprised-by-joy

Conclusion to the three-part story of my journey from atheism to faith.

To read Part One, click here.

“Surprised by joy—impatient as the Wind, I turned to share the transport.”          ~William Wordsworth

Almost immediately after my diffident conversion, I went looking for something that could explain it, and stumbled upon (or rather, was led to) the writings of C. S. Lewis. It was like finding a bundle of letters from my “real father.” His thoughts were as alive to me as my own.

Indeed, they paralleled my own in every way, except that he’d thought and written about them in far greater depth. When I read of his brushes with Joy, his word for the untranslatable German “sehnsucht,” the transcendent longing of which all other longings are merely a shadow, my heart jumped from my chest. Here again was the thing I’d called “a hunger for a flavor that didn’t exist!”

“Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is Grand Tetonssuch a thing as water… If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing.” (Mere Christianity)

No mere philosophical construct, this phenomenon was the linchpin of Jack’s conversion, as it had been mine:

“In a sense, the central story of my life is about nothing else (but) that of an unsatisfied desire which is itself more desirable than any other satisfaction. I call it Joy (and) doubt whether anyone who has tasted it would ever, if both were in his power, exchange it for all the pleasures in the world.” (Surprised by Joy)

Like me, but many years before me, my spiritual father had surrendered to the flavor that did exist. And like me, he had brought a lot of luggage along as he moved down the path from atheist to deist to (finally) unfettered disciple. And yet he never turned back.

And neither have I.

“For those who speak in this way make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of the land that they had left behind, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God, indeed, he has prepared a city for them.”

~Hebrews 11:14-16

Mountain-Village-1920x1080-Wallpapers-1024x576

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Memoir, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Why I Believe: C.S. Lewis and Me – Part Three

1. Karen L Greene says:

Very profound!

2. Bill Strickler says:

Mitch,
    I had some similar experiences on my journey to accepting the LORD. There is too much to share here, but the clincher came when I hear Pastor Chuck Smith gave a sermon about the “GOD-Shaped” hole in our hearts. I had tried to fill that void with many things, but it wasn’t until I surrendered to the Holy Spirit’s call, that I found true peace.
    Blessings to you Brother,
    Bill

3. Such a great testimony, Mitch. Lewis has had a huge influence on my faith walk. If you have a chance, please read post I wrote about Lewis last November, the 50th anniversary of his death.

4. Pingback: Remembering the Other “Jack” | Mitch Teemley

5. Pingback: Why I Believe: C.S. Lewis and Me – Part Two | Mitch Teemley

6. Matilda Novak says:

This is really good, Mitch….Thank you for sharing Your story.

7. sonniq says:

I enjoyed your 3 part post. I saw a reply you left on Steven Jenkins blog. I left a lengthy reply you may have read and today I left a follow up, on my own journey. My journey went from Christianity to being agnostic to Nichiren Buddhism. I’m not here to say I’m right and you’re wrong. So many people have nothing that guides them. They don’t even realize they need something that helps them to be a better human. Each person decided for themself what is and isn’t important. Having something that creates such passion for you is a wonderful thing. I wish you continued happiness.

I started writing to Steven because we have a shared interest. Prison. I have a website “My Name is Jamie. Life in Prison” at mynameisjamie.net. Based on letters shared with me by the father of one of my grandsons who is now starting the 10th year of incarceration. I’m active in writing within within that genre. I would gladly welcome any response.

Have a wonderful day.

8. barbara says:

AS ALWAYS,QUITE THOUGHT PROVOKING!

9. mitchteemley says:

Thank you, Barbara. Happy New Year!

10. Read all 3 parts. This is so good, Mitch! Your journey to faith and the way you describe it is beautiful. “Surprised By Joy” is now a *must* on my reading list!

C.S. Lewis is my husband’s favorite author and referred to him quite frequently in his sermons, because his winsome logic is irrefutable! Your quote from Mere Christianity is a perfect example. Who can argue with that?! In addition, God used that same book to turn our older son around when he was in college. What a legacy Jack left–with far-reaching results.

12. It was wonderful to read your testimony Mitch. It gives me hope for the professing Atheists in my life and also, gives me insight into why they are often so cranky about their lack of belief…they’re hungry!:0)

13. Great post!
    This made me want to continue reading Mere Christianity. 🙂

14. Mitch, I see the connection between our stories; )

15. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

Conclusion to the three-part story of my journey from atheism to faith:

16. Enviroart says:

I like the way you describe your road Mitch ! You must read “A return to love” by Marianne Williamson. I think you will enjoy if you have not read it. Thank you for liking my blog, Best to you !

17. Thanks for sharing! It really made me think twice as well about my own faith and journey up to now.

18. Love this story! I found God when I got sober. I thought I’d had a Godless childhood (brought up Unitarian) because I was always searching. I temporarily filled my spiritual longing with “spirits.” Now I am interested in C.S. Lewis’ writings…

19. God bless you! Great story!

20. A very fascinating and intriguing read, Mitch. It is quite a journey you went on. I feel a certain longing, myself, for that unknowable fruit (however, I think that anyone who is introspective and creative enough will experience these cravings for something more or something unknown).

21. Wow! I am excited you came to visit my blog. I am ecstatic to visit yours. Really well done, but most of all, right on the mark. I have long thought exactly as you (and Lewis before you) have thought. I remember sitting in a college class on Shakespeare’s sonnets thinking how remarkable it is that so many great writers struggled with mortality and longed for immortality that there must be something to it – how else would we even have any sense about it. My journey into Christ started in 1979, thinking that it was me seeking for “truth” and discovering that it was Truth and the Way and the Life calling me.

22. Pingback: The Tree of Life | Navigating by Faith

23. aviator3230 says:

Hey Mitch,
    Enjoyed it so much I posted all three to my Facebook wall. Discovering Lewis as a young Christian was one of the most important milestones in my spiritual life and I can totally relate. Thanks for sharing!

24. oneta hayes says:

“Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists…” This is much like my thesis in my doctoral manuscript; God did not create man with any need that he himself will not meet. I use Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and match the Jehovah names of God to substantiate my thesis. I used the eight names that show relationship of God to man. There are many more that describe him outside that relationship. I also am a admirer of C. S. Lewis; however, rather a late comer with a background very different from his. Thanks for this testimony.