My First Feature Film

Under the Gipper.  I was doing an internship on one of the top floors of the building they blew up in Diehard (only Ronald Reagan’s office was above us).  Anxious to find a movie project, but with no money, I started reading old classics (i.e. stealable stories) at the Beverly Hills Library.

Rip van Offable.  One day I stumbled across Rip Van Winkle, which had never been made into a live action film, probably because it was only a 15 page wisp of a story.  So I expanded it, imagining all 51EMH9VJXWLthat had happened to Rip’s wife and kids during his twenty year absence, and what he’d have to do to fix things when he returned.  I pitched it to a friend at Columbia Pictures, and he said, “Well, Showtime’s looking for modern fairly tales…”  And I said, “Funny, cuz this just happens to be a modern fairly tale!” then got off the phone and spent the next two days modernizing the story!

Two weeks later, Showtime bought the rights and I got my first producer credit!  Hope you enjoy this brief clip from Out of Time.

This entry was posted in Humor, Memoir, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Story Power, Videos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to My First Feature Film

1. Michael Wilhelm says:

Is the entire film availableanywhere?

2. mitchteemley says:

Yes, Michael, Amazon and other online video sellers have it, plus Showtime re-runs it occasionally.

3. Pingback: My Strange Moment with Mr. Reagan | Mitch Teemley

4. Pingback: Interstellar: Do Not be Afraid! | Mitch Teemley

5. mitchteemley says:

Reblogged this on Mitch Teemley and commented:

I’m reviewing the paperwork today on a new feature film that I’ll be writing and directing! On that note, here’s a clip from the first feature film I ever worked on.

6. Oh wow! How fun. Thanks for sharing.

7. Woohoo. I’m friends with a moviemaker. How cool is that?

I’m with Dorothy. I can now say I know a movie producer. That IS pretty cool! So looking forward to your newest project, too.

9. I will watch “Out of Time”. Wow you are amazing filmmaker ! 🙂

10. Lucie says:

So am I famous too cuz I’m one of your best friends and stalkers …whoops, I mean followers?!😊

11. mitchteemley says:

I have a stalker? Woo-hoo! That’s makes me a REAL celebrity! ;>)